Ovulation kits

Esther2
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:13 pm 
Post subject: Ovulation kits
Hi, I'm very confused ! Hope someone can help... My partner and I are trying to get pregnant after a recent miscarriage. I've started using the ClearBlue digital sticks - the one with the smiley face. There are also blue lines on the stick. It says on the packaging that those lines aren't to be used when assessing the LH surge however, I've read that those lines CAN tell you, depending on how faint or dark they are,when you have a LH surge. Really want to become pregnant again but information is confusing Rolling Eyes
Poppy99
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:08 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, I have been using Ovulation testers for past three months but never found a true surge. Around the time I think Im ovulating (based on cervix and cervical mucus) I do get stronger lines but never as strong as the control line. The first month of testing I used Clearblue digital believing them to be a good trustworthy name but have to say I have not wasted my money on them again, atleast not the digital ones. When I finished the pack being the techy anorack that I am I actualy took one apart. All it is are three red lights that must be infrared or something which enables those three lights to read the blue lines on the test stick - nothing we could not manage ourselves with some common sense. If they do not read a strong enough result line it comes back to you with the empty circle. Like you I also missed a possible ovulation period with these, I did see some stronger blue lines for a couple of days when removing the stick from reader. Since then I have taken advise from some of the girls on this website and ordered 25 ov testers and 5 pregnancy testers for 20. Still no luck detecting a full surge in last two cycles Sad but atleast I have saved a pretty penny! The website is www.homehealth-uk.com The parcel arrived next day in plain packaging.

Personally my best advise would be not to put to much onus on the ov testers but learn your own body signs ie. Cervical mucus, cervix position and BBT, all of which are free! yeh!

Sorry to hear about the miscarriage but good to hear you back up on 'the ol horse' again so to speak. All the best.
MrsE27
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:30 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, i have been ttc for 3 months now and my cycle is a bit irregular so ordered some ov testing strips off the internet, started using them this month but still no surge yet despite other signs that i'm ovulating Rolling Eyes I have found them very disheartening to use.

Trying to stay positive but wont use them again next month, just stressed me out!! Just making sure we do the baby dance as much as poss at the right time!!! Much more fun and less pressure!!!

This is only my experience though... (i'm probably doing something wrong?!)

Good luck to you all xxxx
Esther2
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:07 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Poppy, thanks for that. Yes, it does feel like a bit of waste of money buying those digital ones. I thought I was quite well informed but when you say position of cervix what exactly do you mean and also what does BBT mean ? Question It's probably the miscarriage that's made me more intense about watching for signs of ovulation etc - never used to be like that, just kinda relaxed about it.
Poppy99
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:34 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Esther, We had a scare where I started bleeding with our first Son but thankfully he was determined to stay put and I carried on with the pregnancy it was a very scary couple of weeks, so I can only imagine how you must feel after miscarrying and how it must effect your mind on TTC this time round.

Glad I could be of some help though, BBT is Basal Body Temperature, its only something I started charting this month but I think it may prove beneficial. It does not tell you when you are ovulating, only after ovulation do you notice a change but over a period of months you can build a pattern. basically wot it involves is taking your waking temp 1st thing every morning and noting the temps on a chart (you can buy a chart and fertilty thermometer from Boots for 12) it will help you to see the rise in temp after ovulationwhen progesterone kicks in, if the rise continues for 18+ days you can consider yourself pregnant because progesterone drops again between 12-14 days after ovulation just before painters arrive, unless you get lucky and fall preggers! It is also helpful to continue monitoring when pregnant for a few months as it can warn of impending miscarraige. I charted this month and it apprears I did not actually ovulate so gonna see doc to check all is well.

Cervix position is not for the squeamish but I found it interesting as it is something you hear loads of in pregnancy/labour but I had no idea what mine was like. I have since found out it is nothing that mystical after all. It does involve you inserting a clean finger in you vagina and feeling for the cervix but it easy to do. They say that when near ovulation or ovulating the cervix is high, is soft (like your lips) and open but other times it sits low, is hard (like tip of your nose) and closed.

If I haven't bored you rigid by all this gumpf try reading the 'getting pregnant' section of the pregnancy guide at the top of this web page or I bought a book off Amazon.co.uk called 'Taking Charge of your Fertility' by Toni Weschler its 12 but a mine of relative information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Trying to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular