Pregnant again just 5 mths after my last emergency c section

pebbles123
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:39 pm 
Post subject: Pregnant again just 5 mths after my last emergency c section
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has been in the same situation as myself.

My last labour ended up in an Emergency C Section as the baby was in the wrong position. Some health advisors told me not to try for another baby until at least 2 years afterwards. However, although we wanted another baby I didnt expect to become pregnant the first time we had unprotected sex as the last baby took a while to conceive. I became pregnant again just 5 months after given birth.

If I had given birth viginally after my last labour I would be absolutely delighted, but now after carrying out alot of research on the internet it appears that I have a 1% risk of a ruptured uterus due to the last C Section.

The risk goes up to 3% if there is a short gap between the pregnancies. It goes up a further 3% if you are over 35, and another 3% if you are likely to give birth to a baby greater than 8llbs (my last baby was 9.2lbs with a large head, he was 95% of the percentile). This means that I have around a 10% risk of a ruptured uterus which could result in the death of myself and baby.

I am now worried sick. I would dearly love to give birth naturally but because of the above it appears that another C - Section is the safest option, although this carries numerous risks as well due to the short space between pregnancies etc.

Is there anyone else out there who is in or has experienced the same situation as myself?
asfletcher
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:33 pm 
Post subject:
havent been in this position myself although was pregnant 2 months after giving birth. i have heard u should wait atleast a year before having another and 2 with c section to allow ur body to recover. if obviously this isnt going to happen then i would probably say u will be told its best if u have a c section again as it has a number of risks
MrsSpringer
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:28 pm 
Post subject:
Hello hunni.
You didnt say how far along you are?
Welcome to the forum - i see this is your first post - so welcome Laughing

Firstly I was pregnant at 5 months past the cut date and sadly miscarried the day before the doctors appt to confirm it all.
I then got pregnant 9 months after the cut and went on to have another little boy.

The risk of uterine ruptire i believe is 0.035% which im sure you will agree is MINIMAL.

Given my experience with my section i decided i wanted to give birth at home, HVBAC and despite being told i would give birth to a dead baby, and IF i survived id need a hysterectomy NONE were true!

The 'health professionals' will try to force you into making that choice on having another caesarean but at the end of the day they should butt out - its your baby, your body, YOUR DECISION!!

At the end of day also what you have to think about is the risks associated with caesarean section - ie the risk of exsessive bleeding, the risk they MAY have to do a hysterectomy to stop the bleeding and also remember that if you have a section now - you can pretty much kiss good bye to a natural labour /birth as after 2 sections they write you off good and proper. (ALthough its not impossible..)

There are not many women like me who have had a HVBAC (HOME Vaginal birth after caesarean)

All i can say is this : for me giving birth was everything, with my caesarean i felt cheated i didnt even go into labour, i still resent that section and resent everything about that birth.
To have my home birth after it was amazing, so amazing when i think about it i cry with joy, it was magical experience for me, and until i had it i didnt feel like a mother properly, i felt like the previous birth was just an operation (still do)

I am pro home birth - and highly recommend home births and the gas and air!!!

Good luck x
iky
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:23 pm 
Post subject:
Hey hun, my sisteinlaw also had a c section and became pregnant 5 months later. Although she got bombarded with info that scared the life out of her relating to pertaining risks she went to give birth to a perfectly healthy boy vaginally, he is 4 months now. So although there are horror stories there are also happy ever after endings so fingers crossed hun and pray it'l all go well.xxx
pebbles123
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:00 pm 
Post subject: Pregnant again 5 months after having a C-Section
Hi

Thanks for your reassurance.

I was just wondering about the size of baby you had naturally and also your age. You see I am over 35 and it is also evident that I will be give birth to a large baby. Possibly even larger than the last baby as second babies tend to be bigger. This means that I may be looking at a 10lb baby.

Apparently there is more risk of a ruptured uterus if you are over 35 and prone to giving birth to large babies. Not that I am large myself.

Look forward to hearing from you.
asfletcher
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:15 pm 
Post subject:
have u spoke to midwife about ur concerns. i think if it was me i would just go with c section so i knew nothing could go wrong, it seems ur slightly worried about what could happen and u dont need the worry in ur pregnancy hun. hope u work something out soon x
OOOO0
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:41 pm 
Post subject:
I would just like to say I had just over a year after my son was born by section to when I concieved my daughter. I also had a section with her, but not due to the same problem and not to do with ruptured scar or anything. My son was born under GA as I had no choice and my daughter under spinal which went very well. Yes natural would have been good if possible but having 2 sections has made me no LESS a MOTHER. I CANT BELIEVE HOW IT WOULD. Anyway 2 years is advised between falling pregnant but as all turned out fine for me. No less a mother! Good Luck Pup x
pebbles123
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:08 pm 
Post subject: Ceasareans etc
Hi

I think will be looking at a C-Section although I dont really want to do this as they are classed as major operations. I especially dont like the idea of having two so close together. But thanks to everyone who has replied to my posting. At least now I am not so worried.

Although I know many people that have had 2 or more C-sections most of these have had large gaps between their pregnancies. It is good to know that there are people out there who are in the same boat.

I must admit I am really inspried by Mrs Springers story. A home birth sounds wonderful.

I was just wondering what the size of your baby was Mrs Springer and your age. Apparently if your baby is not large and you are under 30 the risk of a rupture is alot smaller.

look forward to hearing from you.
iky
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:28 pm 
Post subject:
Hi pebbles, sorry for late reply my sisterinlaw is relatively young 21yrs old I believe and baby wieghed 6 half pound I think, oops! Nevertheless do try push for a normal birth.xxx
MrsSpringer
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:44 pm 
Post subject: Re: Ceasareans etc
pebbles123 wrote:
Hi

I think will be looking at a C-Section although I dont really want to do this as they are classed as major operations. I especially dont like the idea of having two so close together. But thanks to everyone who has replied to my posting. At least now I am not so worried.

Although I know many people that have had 2 or more C-sections most of these have had large gaps between their pregnancies. It is good to know that there are people out there who are in the same boat.

I must admit I am really inspried by Mrs Springers story. A home birth sounds wonderful.

I was just wondering what the size of your baby was Mrs Springer and your age. Apparently if your baby is not large and you are under 30 the risk of a rupture is alot smaller.

look forward to hearing from you.

Hi there!
Good luck on any decision you make.
I was 19 when i had caesarean, nov 04
and i was 21 when i had home birth, june 06 which was 19 months after the cut.

The caesarean baby weighed 5lb 9oz and the home birth babs weighed in at 7lb 8oz.

Hope thats answered your questions Smile

**PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE CHD WORD.**
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular