constipation

namukale
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:42 am 
Post subject: constipation
My son is five and half months and he is breast feeding, I have just started him on solids but he's taking up to ten to fourteen days to go to the toilet. I ve been to the doctor and he just tells me to get him plenty of fluids. My son is distress. What can I do?
Virgomum
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:02 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya - I sympathise.

I went through this exact problem plus many others with my son and didn't get much help from the GP either. I gave mine prune juice to help to alleviate the constipation, however, you need to consider that this could be part of an underlying problem.
My son turned out to be allergic to Milk and Eggs - confirmed by blood tests at 10 month old after much sufferring and being ignored by GP's, refused referrals etc.
I'm not saying your son has these problems, but just that you consider there could be an underlying issue - It strikes me as strange that this happens just when you are trying to wean him - The point at which I had the most problems with my boy. It is not normal for a baby to not go for that long!

Hang in there - I remember the anxiety this can bring. Just MAKE your doctor listen, like you said, your son is in distress.

xxx
Virgomum
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:08 pm 
Post subject:
Just a thought...

I hope I didn't alarm you - to reiterate I'm not saying there is a huge problem but I just think you need to keep an eye generally - there is so much incidence of allergies and intolerances.

Maybe it can be 'normal' on weaning. It just struck a chord with me cos of my experience.

xxx
EnjoyingPregnancy
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:44 pm 
Post subject:
iv been going through the exact same problem wid my 1 and a half yr old daughter. the problem has been coming and going for some time but just this week i had had enough i took her to the doctors. the thing is her poo is too hard and it makes her cry so they gave something to soften it. but doctors tend not to give younger babies medicine so try squeezed orange juice that definately worked or brown sugar in water that worked bt her poo was still hard.and plenty of fluids but my baby didnt take anything in a bottle until she was around 8 months because i breastfed
good luck
claire555
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:05 pm 
Post subject: baby constipation
hi i can understand what u are going through i am currently going throught the same thing my daughter is 6 weeks old and suffers from constipation for almost a month now and i took her to the doctors and my doctor put my daughter on lactulose 50mls and she has it twice aday 2 mls per siringe i don't know your situation with your son but i think that your doctor should have given him something or try sugar and water thats what my doctor told me to use or try 1/2 ml or orange juice toped up the bottle with hot water let it cool down that works a bit but i would advice to go back to your doctor

it is so hard to see your child in so much pain i cry when my daughter is in that much pain and i can't do anything for her

good luck take care
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Children's Health All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular