Is Isabelle to young for solids?

kelly69627
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:10 pm 
Post subject: Is Isabelle to young for solids?
My daughter was born 3 weeks early at 8lbs 4oz she was big, at 11 weeks she weighed 15lbs 7 oz, she is now 14 weeks and is hungry all the time, my health visitor told me I had to cut her bottles down as she is putting on to much weight (I never, I think 7oz every 3 hours is good for a baby of her age and she sleeps from 8pm till 6am). For the past few days her bottles are not filling her and she wakes up through the night, should I give her a bit of rusk or something? how often should I give her the food at the start of weaning her?
ch4rli3
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:18 am 
Post subject:
Hi

My son is 15 wks old and weighs 13lbs 7oz, In the last week I have been giving him a small amount of Baby rice at lunch time along with his usual feed of milk. He usually has around 7oz of milk per feed.
My health visitor did say not to try him on anything other than his milk till he was at least 20weeks, but he seemed so hungry that I wanted to try.
I think its down to you, if you feel your baby is hungry and milk not satisfying her, I would try a small amount of baby rice.
MummyLewis
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:17 am 
Post subject: Baby juice
Hi, my daughter is 13wks old and I wanna start giving her diluted orange juice, I have been letting her lick foods like raw carrotts and bits of fruit to get her used to different textures on her tongue. Am I wrong to be doing this? Whatever she has in her hands she puts straight in her mouth and when she watches me and my partner eat she makes chewing movements and chomping sounds. Is it to soon to start weaning? I would really like to hear what any other mums think and is anyone has any advice about weaning I would love to hear it. Very Happy Smile Smile Very Happy
OOOO0
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:53 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Everyone

This is going to go against the rules and my children are 9 and 7 but were both hungry and big babies who fed 3 hourly. My son weighed 8lb 8oz at birth and grew rapidly I started weaning at 10 weeks. its was earlier then, and he was fine. My HV unofficially told me to start weaning. I started with a little baby rice in the afternoon, just to check he didnt react at all. then progressed slowly on to 3 times a day. I think its good to get babies used to new foods and textures. As long as it is one a time to start to avoid reactions or allergies and know which if there is. I did leave juice till over one year but then I was lucky both my children enjoyed water from a couple of weeks old. My information maybe out of date, but have now got 2 very healthy children who eat vey well. I also trained and worked as a nanny and enjoyed weaning my babies. I am now trying to concieve my 3rd child after an ectopic pregnancy loss. And next time will follow the HV advice but also my gut instinct on what and when my baby needs. Not all babies follow text book. Good Luck Pup x
michau
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:32 pm 
Post subject:
Hi mummy lewis,
my daughter is nearly five months and me too I wanted to try to start something different for my daughter although the rules state it s better to start giving food to the baby at 6 months or between 4 and 6 months but not before.However every mother can decide when to start but the health units says to start between 4 and 6 months to let the kidneys develop and the digestion system of the baby.I suggest that you don t give your baby orange juice it s very harmful for the baby the health visitor , the pediatrician , and the nutritionist jumped when i asked them to start with some orange juice. They strongly said NO WAY.You should always start with baby rice one time a day for a month preferably between 10 am and mid day . Please make some research or ask but whatever I found on the internet they don t suggest to give orange juice it s too acidic for a baby. I know how you feel in start feeding your baby but please weight a bit and don t give orange cause it may cause allaergy to your baby which is no joke.
CharlieMarley
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:11 pm 
Post subject:
Hi there,
I have been doing loads of research as my son is 9 weeks old, and now 15lb 4oz and very hungry. He is getting 7oz of Aptimal Hungry baby every 3.5 hours, and 2 breast feeds per day also.
My GP who also runs the baby clinic told me unoficially that it is fine to 'try' your baby very slowly on baby rice (late morning before lunch time nap) on a spoon and see if he likes it. Clearly this only applies if the baby is big (15lb plus) and you have tried hungry baby and he is still hungry. He also eats his fists all the time and watches me intently when I am eating.
He told me not to disguise the baby rice in the bottle, but to let him decide and see how he reacts to the spoonful. Does he move it around his mouth, appear to instinctvely know what to do, want more etc.
I was advised to give one level teaspoon of baby rice mixed with warm formula/breast milk to make it runny but not too thick and not force him to eat it all if he didn't want it.
I know this goes against WHO guidelines, but I think you also have to use your own instincts.
Good luck.
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:22 pm 
Post subject: Re: Is Isabelle to young for solids?
hi every one i have read all you have asked and had to say, the health visiter would not advise any of this, my boy is now 8 months old he was a hungry baby at just 7 weeks old so i was giving him rusk and baby rice he was allso having very weak orange so he did not get constipated, and at 8 weeks he was chewing onany thing he could get his hands on,he had his first tooth at 12 weeks and now hes 8 months he has 9 teeth . you do what you think is best for your child and there is no right or wrong way . i started of giving my boy 2 too 3 spoons of rusk or rice morning and evening but it your baby wants more give it too them it did my boy no harm at all .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular