What about flying?

JoJo28
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:47 am 
Post subject: What about flying?
Hi everyone,
I found out a few days ago that I'm pregnant (whoo hoo)! The thin is, I'm working in France at the moment and I'm due to fly back to Britain on 8th April. My Fiance is coming over at the weekend to be with me when we fly home but I'm really worried that the flight may cause miscarriage as I am only 5 weeks pregnant!? What do you think? I'd be grateful for any info...

Thanks,

Jo x
sozzle
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:00 am 
Post subject:
Hi Jo - i flew to Geneva at almost same time (5 weeks) spoke to doctor before i flew who said there is absolutely no evidence that flying can increase risk of miscarriage. there is a small increased risk of DVT but v rare on short haul flights. consultant friend has confirmed the same. I was absolutely fine and im sure you will be too as flight is v short. Its recommended that you make sure you are v well hydrated, so have lots of water and good idea to keep moving about to ensure blood flow (rotating ankles etc) finally, flight socks are also good idea but more for longer flights (for DVT). I was meant to fly again on v long haul flight at 11 weeks and ended up deciding not to go. Not because of flight, although i was forwarned that would be uncomfortable due to sickness etc but because of destination (SE Asia). Hope this helps sozzlex (p.s congrats by the way!)
JoJo28
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:54 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks so much Sozzle for that info. It has settled my mind. I am also due to fly out to the Dominican Republic at the end of June so the info you've givern re: DVT is also very helpful! This site is great isn't it as it shares a wealth of information between all of us!
Thanks again,
Jo x
MrsLwd
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:12 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,

I jsut found out I am pregnant too (after the docs said I wasn't as test did not show up at 16 days past AF. Surprised But did two clear blue digitals today and its the BFP!!!

I am getting married on Saturday and due to fly out to Maldives on Tuesday. Thats a 10 hour flight with a sea plan transfer.

I am worried sick. Hoping it will be ok on such a long haul flight. Lots of sites say it will, but some say not to travel in 1st trimester.

Going to make appointment with docs tomorrow Laughing
gingin
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:44 pm 
Post subject:
this seems to be a real grey area we will be 5mths when we get married in 4 weeks and we have decided not to go on a honeymoon that involves flying - apparently there is research out there and although its not carved in stone i have now spoken to a few doctors and they say towards the end of the pregnancy it isnt a good idea, its to do with the pressure or something - anyway i have decided not to risk anything at this stage
but i did fly the other week and was fine ! i think i hope !!
g
x
sozzle
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:10 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Ladies - gingin you're absolutely right about flying in last trimester but my understanding is that you are recommended to try to avoid flying at this point as it could bring on early labour rather than having a detrimental effect on baby. My job involves a lot of travel so have spent an absolute age discussing with various doctors and trying to do as much research as i can. From what i can gather there is no evidence that flying per se is bad for baby (unless its by private plane due to air quality) but that side effects can be unpleasant such as sickness/tiredness/increased DVT risk etc. Also if you get dehydrated (in air or on ground) is a bad thing. What i was told is that more importantly than the flying to find out about medical facilities at destination. Obviously if something does happen you want to make sure that help is on hand. i decided against going on trip at 11 weeks because it was in v Northern Thailand and i just wasnt sure what local hospital/doctors would be like, secondly, i had experienced a lot of nausea and the thought of flying for 13.5hrs was v unappealing! Finally, as i hadnt reached 12 week mark i was worried that if something did happen i would blame myself for going on such a long trip (even if it had nothing to do with it!) BUT i hasten to add that was my personal opinion. i know of several ladies who have travelled long haul pre: 12 weeks and were absolutely fine and one colleague in her 30the week of pregnancy!! sorry for such a long email but i spent an agonising time over the whole flying thing as it meant i had to tell work before i was ready to do so and as gingin said there is an awful lot of confusing advice out there. At the end of the day it comes down to personal choice and what you feel comfortable doing. hope at least my experiences can be of some use . sozzlexx
pommie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:50 pm 
Post subject:
I am actually going on holiday when I am 2 days away from 26 weeks and i return a day before I am 28 weeks. I told the midwife and she did not seem that concerned.
ibiza
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:33 am 
Post subject: flying
hi to all those people worried about flying. i am 9 weeks and saw my consultant yesterday in harley street who is an expert in fetal medicine. he told me flying is no problem as i have lots booked over the coming months.

his advice drink plenty of fluids walk around flight and wear flying socks. the risk is serious if it is a country with poor medical care or where diseases exist such as malaria. also if you have a bllood clotting problem it puts you at further risk, but if all is normal it seems to be okay. everyone should ask there own doctor as we all have dfferent pregnancies and personal risks.

however as always these things are personal choice as if something does occur the person may think it is to do with flying rather than other reasons.

these babies are pretty resiiliant and prefer us mummies to be as relaxed and stress-free as possible. to the lady getting married enjoy wedding and honeymoon.
MrsLwd
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:43 pm 
Post subject:
Ah Thank you. Really nervous about the wedding now. Been to the doctor today and I asked him about flying and he said it would be fine. Its usually the last tri mester you should be more wary of.

Doctor said I am 7.5 weeks pregnant. Just hoping the morning sickness does not kick in yet. Shocked

To top it all off, I had an hours sleep last night as I have a stinking blocked up nose . The doctor says I can't take anything for it either. Sad

Oh well.
somoslagente
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:50 am 
Post subject: flying - UK to Spain and Back
hello there

I wouldn´t worry too much about flying at the moment.

I caught 3 flights after having just conceived and 2 when I would have been about 4- 5 weeks pregnant (just like u just now)

I have just flown out to Spain again (i´m about 14-16 weeks at the moment) and the only problem I suffered was that I was a little bit uncomfortable this time.

KEEP FLYING
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular