Really need help with houseold bills (crisis)...

XxNOAHnELIJAHxX
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:44 pm 
Post subject: Really need help with houseold bills (crisis)...
Hi ladies, i am having a bit of a crisis at the mo with OH and bills. Basically his not paying them right and getting himself in to debt again.

Here is the situation, i moved into his house just over a year ago. He has his own mortgage. I give him 300 a month for bills and money towards the mortgage. This isnt my mortgage its his. He has 85% and his dad as owns 15%.

His mortgage has just gone up to 500 how much do think i should give him towards it as in rent? I think his parents think i am going to pay half which i dont want to unless i have a share or s hold in the house so i have stability for me and my Son if it all goes tits up. Do u agree?

So i am going to put half towards all the other bills, i have never had my own home that i have control on bills coz like i said OH pays. Can u please tell me what other monthly bills there are? I know slightly but no clue on the averages

Gas
Electric
TV
Broadband
Home insurance
Council Tax
Is there anymore and how much do these normally come too?
I no its a lot of Qs but need to know thanks ladies.

Char

My beautiful little men filling up my world x
XxNOAHnELIJAHxX
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:59 pm 
Post subject:
I take it house old bills is not a good subject Rolling Eyes. I thought all you ladies that live in a home would be able to advice.

No worries

Michelleplus4
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:03 pm 
Post subject:
hiya ,,, is the gas/electric meters or quarterly bills ?
i believe meters are more expensive
my gas meter goes through 5 a week in the summer but can be 15 in winter
i average 10 electric a week
mt tv license is around 12 a month
14.99 for my broadband
i live up north where its so much cheaper to live my council tax is about 1000 a year
home insurance ,, i would recommend looking on the sites like money supermarket and searching for the best deal
not much help sorry x x
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:03 pm 
Post subject:
Water rates - maybe metered? Main one I can think of you'd missed.
Sky / virgin etc. if applicable
Think you've covered the rest. x
libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:04 pm 
Post subject:
Our gas and electricity are about 15 a month but we're in a flat. Our council tax in about 80 but it will depend on your band. Vrgin costs about 85 a month and that's for phone, tv, sky sports, broadband, etc. Home insurance is about 13 a month and building about 275 a year. We also have two water bills which are both just over 20. Can't think of anything else. Hope that helps.

If you're contributing to the mortgage will your OH not get you put on it?

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:07 pm 
Post subject:
Hi its a personal thing really how much to pay towards the mortgage etc, I am moving in with the OH in a cple of weeks and I will be paying half down the middle of all bills except things like his car insurance and his credit card. My opinion of paying for half of the mortgage comes down to the fact that if you rented somewhere you'd still have to pay that so its no different really unless its way above what you'd pay on your own.

TBH and I'm NOT being nasty, if his mortgage is 500 a month and then he has all those other bills and you only pay 300 towards everything (inc food) then thats not really fair, if you can afford to give more then I personally think you definately should.

Normal bills are all those you said plus:-

TV licence - 163???? a year (about 10 a month)
Water rates - I live alone about 100 for 6 months
Buildings insurance (u just said home you need both contents and buildings) - 200 per year
Car Tax, MOT, Insurance (if you have a car) - dependent on car
Telephone - 20 a month
Food - 150 a month
Household goods - ie toilet paper, cleaning products etc etc - 50 per months
Fuel or transport

I would suggest you open a joint account (double signatory required account, this protects both of you or you'll end up in the mess I did if he does a runner) then each of you put a bit in each month for those sudden emergencies (ie a washing machine blowing up etc)

You need to sit down and go through BOTH of your bank statements for a couple of months, on do a column for you, a column for him and a column for both, in each column write down what you'd be spending a month.

HTH

T-y

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:16 pm 
Post subject:
libertytmk wrote:
Our gas and electricity are about 15 a month but we're in a flat. Our council tax in about 80 but it will depend on your band. Vrgin costs about 85 a month and that's for phone, tv, sky sports, broadband, etc. Home insurance is about 13 a month and building about 275 a year. We also have two water bills which are both just over 20. Can't think of anything else. Hope that helps.

Don't get hung up on it being a mortgage, ask yourself this q. If you both moved into a rented house would you pay half the rent?

Yes I know that if you split up you'd see nothing for the money and he would, its only the same as renting.

You can ask if he'd put your on the mortgage but at the end of the day it gives you even less stability if you were to split up then either one of you would have to buy the other out or you'd have to pay for 2 places whilst you wait to sell the house.

HTH

T-y

XxNOAHnELIJAHxX
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:17 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks ladies.

Trace his Mortgage was 360 a month. BUt its going up in july to 500.
I do put my half 70 towards food a month on top of 300.
We have our own cars and insurances.

So its just water, gas/electric, TV, broadband, council tax a month - Which i fort would be around 140 a month as my half. So would be 280 for both. Is it more? Shocked

I think we might have to open a joint bills account.

Thanks again

Char

XxNOAHnELIJAHxX
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:26 pm 
Post subject:
libertytmk wrote:

Thats wat i would like as paying half and him kicking me out i will have nothing and wouldnt afford to put any savings away.

Char

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:30 pm 
Post subject:
Charlieb5 wrote:
Thanks ladies.

Trace his Mortgage was 360 a month. BUt its going up in july to 500.
I do put my half 70 towards food a month on top of 300.
We have our own cars and insurances.

So its just water, gas/electric, TV, broadband, council tax a month - Which i fort would be around 140 a month as my half. So would be 280 for both. Is it more? Shocked

I think we might have to open a joint bills account.

Thanks again

Char

Charlie be really careful with joint accounts, they are a great idea but easily abused (as I found out to a very dear cost!!), however if you do get one, get a joint signatory one, this means that noone can take money out with both of you signing for it.

Cheers

MarioAndStuntChicken
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:32 pm 
Post subject:
I just happen to have my accounts book by computer.

TBH 500 is a fab mortgage to have. I pay more than that in rent Id say 175 towards the mortgage isnt unreasonablem its less than 50% but a good chunk nevertheless esp as you would pay wayy more to rent.

Water rates are about 20 a month usually
tax variable but i pay 125,
elec variable again-i pay 115 for gas and elec but we are paying off a debit,
phone and internet variable depending on what you have-mine is 25 a month for both,
tv is about 12 a month
contents and building insurance if you have it say 15 a month

Say a round 300 for all bills so you half would be 150 plus whatever you put towards mortgage as a rough sketch. What OH and i do is have a seperate billing account. I have a written list of all bills, we work out the grand total then he pays me housekeeping once a month for his half of the bills. On payday i transfer the amount needed for bills into the billing account and whatevers left in my account is mine

XxNOAHnELIJAHxX
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:40 pm 
Post subject:
Thank u so much ladies, i will do that thing with joint the thing. Marioasc i am so looking to do this then it will give me a clear mind that the bills are being paid for.

char

xMandyx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:25 pm 
Post subject:
My household bills are roughly as follows:

Council Tax: 165
Water: 25
Gas and Elec: 140
TV licence 10
Broadband 10
Sky 55
Home Phone 15
Home Insurance 28

I give Matt between 300-400 per month depending on what I get paid

Have you asked OH how much he needs/wants?
RosP
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:33 pm 
Post subject:
When I had a lodger he paid 300 a month inclusive of bills, then OH moved in technically as a lodger and I dropped it to 200 a month + we split food etc (at the time he was considerably worse paid than me). Once we got married he stopped paying rent as such and we considered all finances (including my house ownership & his savings) as joint.

I guess you'd have to consider how much it would cost you to live elsewhere but also are you going onto SMP? Has he made a committment to help to support you and your son?
Also I guess the only problem with a joint account is if he uses it for something other than bills and goes overdrawn - at the moment it sounds like all debt problems are in his name rather than yours.

Ros

XxNOAHnELIJAHxX
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:19 pm 
Post subject:
Hi ladies,

All the bills come to 800 a month so we have decide to set up a household account and both put 400 each a month. Then all the companies can take that out. With our loans, car insurance, mobile they willl just go out of our own account.

All sorted thank u again ladies

Char

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Finances All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular