Can you leave boiled water in a bottle and leave it

lottiecox
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:55 pm 
Post subject: Can you leave boiled water in a bottle and leave it
Help!! I'm getting really confused about this bottle feeding. Say i boil the kettle at 8 in the morning and tip the water in the bottles ready for the day and leave the bottles to cool down to room temperatuare, can i leave the water in the bottle till i need them for a evening feed. I dont add the powder till i'm ready to use the bottle.
I dont re-heat the water i give it to him at room temperature. I just add the powder.
Is this right? Please help
dolphinannie
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:02 pm 
Post subject:
hi
i never bottle fed but from what other ppl have said on other forums they keep the water in the fridge, the reason being that bacteria breeds at room temperature but if its below 5c then it cant multiply any more. Then when it comes to adding the powder just stick it in a jug of hot water for a few mintues.

I know i'm prob made you more confused, sorry Annie x x
michau
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:53 pm 
Post subject: Re: Can you leave boiled water in a bottle and leave it
lottiecox wrote:
Help!! I'm getting really confused about this bottle feeding. Say i boil the kettle at 8 in the morning and tip the water in the bottles ready for the day and leave the bottles to cool down to room temperatuare, can i leave the water in the bottle till i need them for a evening feed. I dont add the powder till i'm ready to use the bottle.
I dont re-heat the water i give it to him at room temperature. I just add the powder.
Is this right? Please help

hi,
me I can t tell you if it s good, cause I have the same question as you.For sure it s good that we boil the water but I don t actually know for how many hours it remains sterile the water.What I advise you (what i think it s most safe) and what i do, i boil water put it in the thermos I do one bottle with water to cool since my daughter likes it at room temperature than after i use that bottle I fill an other one for the next feed to cool . I leave just about 20 to 30 mls less ,than ,when it s time for the feed i just add those few mls just to warm it a little.I think like this is safe cause it s only for 3 hours that is out not for a whole day.I hope i was of some help Laughing
ch4rli3
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:59 am 
Post subject:
Hi

My son is 5 months old and had been bottle fed since birth.
You should boil the kettle and add correct amount to bottles, once the water has cooled to room temperature, add the powder and then keep the bottles in the fridge. This stops bacteria forming in the bottles.
I then re heat a bottle as an when I need it, either stand in a jar of hot water to warm or zap for a few seconds in microwave until warm.
Chutzpah
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:15 pm 
Post subject:
I might get shot down here as I haven't had any kids yet... But please bear with me as I do have food hygiene qualifications.

As soon as I read the posts here I began to worry. A lot of bacteria multiply as food is cooling as the temperature falls into the "danger zone" where bacteria readily multiply.

Underneath five degrees (i.e. in the fridge) bacteria DOES still multiply, it just slows down. It also does not kill bacteria (much the same as freezing doesn't - it just makes bacteria hibernate.

If you reheat it then those bacteria will begin to readily multiple again.

I think what michau says about using a thermos makes the most sense, and is in fact what the government recommend currently after a bit of searching. Just us that boiling water as and when needed and add the formula when required.
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:36 pm 
Post subject: Re: Can you leave boiled water in a bottle and leave it
right ladies, i have bottle feed from the time my boy was born .
BOIL THE KETTLE PORE WHAT YOU NEED IN TO BOTTLE ADD THE FORMULA AS AND WHEN NEEDED.BUT IF YOU MAKE THE BOTTLES UP READY FOR THE DAY THEY MUST BE USED WITHIN 12 HOURS. BUT AS SOME ONE SAID ABOUT BACTERIA I WOULD JUST PUT THE HOT WATER IN THE BOTTLE AND ADD THE FORMULAR WHEN NEEDED.IF YOUR BABY IS UNDER 4 MONTHS OLD DO NOT PUT BOTTLE IN MICROWAVE TO HEAT UP PUT IN BOUL OF HOT WATER. i hope this helps xxxx
CharlieMarley
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:18 pm 
Post subject:
Hello ladies,
The government guidleines were, until recently, to make up the bottles every 24 hours and store in the fridge.
The new guidelines are aimed at the less hygeneic as we are now living in a very litigious culture.
Life is hard enough with a new born, so my advise is to make the feeds up every 24 hours and then use when required.
I won't go on as I have just posted a reply to this same question a few minutes ago.
Also, there is bacteria everywhere, so just use your common sense and wash hands etc etc.
Enjoy the extra time you now have!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular