how long does a feed need to take when breastfeeding

amy001
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:57 pm 
Post subject: how long does a feed need to take when breastfeeding
hi im a new member
my baby boy is nearly 12 weeks old and he puts on an 1oz a day if not more he is breastfeed he was born 5 weeks premature at 5lb 6oz and had very bad jaudice. when he was in hostial being treated for his jaudice he was bottle/cup/tube feed for a few days on formula i then started to express my milk but he couldnt breastfeed because he was to sleepy. when he was about 10 days old he just about had the strength to breastfeed but it would take an hour every 2 hours and i wasnt satisfied he was getting enough so he would have a top up feed has he got older it slowly decreased he now only feeds for 5-15 minutes max apart from one of his feeds which will normaly have in the morning or night for about 30 minutes. but some of his feeds in the day are for only 5-10 minutes he feeds about 6-8 times in the day and will sleep from 8 - 2:40am he will then wake for a feed for 5-10 minutes then sleep till 5-6 he doesnt want to feed just have his dummie an go back to sleep till 7am then feeds then sleep to 8am an have a big feed. is this normal please help im a first time mum.?
joshlibmum
Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:17 pm 
Post subject: how long does a feed take
all babies are different my first was text book fed every 4 hours latched on easily my second is totally different it took her longer to get the hang of it sometimes she feeds for half an hour other times its 5 mins sometimes its every 2-3 hours other times its 6 try not to worry I think babies will feed when there hungry sometimes they are more hungry than other times like adults because you cant see how much they are having you have to rely on there weight gain if your baby is putting on weight they are having enough then your doing fine
Chan76
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:19 pm 
Post subject: breastfeeding
Hi, this sounds completely normal to me! In fact he sounds to be doing pretty well and sleeping for good chunks of time (my son didn't do this until he was about 5 months old!!!). As they get older, they feed faster and satisfy themselves quicker, thus they can go longer periods without having to feed. Don't panic about if he is getting enough. If he isn't he will let you know!!! Carry on the good work and just think, soon he will be sleeping through the night!!!
amy001
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:39 pm 
Post subject:
thank you for your help, its realy put my mind at rest. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular