Stew advice please

Roxy999
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:07 am 
Post subject: Stew advice please
Hi ya, for some reason im very scared of making this lol... i originally felt like this about lasagne too and one day bit the bullet and made it and it was YUM...

this is prob easier.

basically i dont really know where to start. i just want something wholesome with yummy potatoes and meat and i dont want somethign watery....ya can use chicken i know but what sort of beef would you buy for this and if i made a big lot of it how long can it be kept?

any advice would be great! Smile
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:01 am 
Post subject:
hey

im a pants cook but soups and stews are things i can do!! they are easy!!

i buy stewwing beef or casserole beef (same thing really)

i fry the beef until its nearly completely sealed (brown) then i add the onion, fry that until its nearly translucent

i then cover the beef with water or stock whilst i peel and chop my veg

then i add ym carrots, swede, potatoes and parsnip and top up with water, cook until the veg are soft then i cook for a little bit longer about 30mins longer (the longer you cook the softer the meat goes)

then i add my broccoli and peas and cauliflower (if you add with the rest of veg they turn to mush lol)

cook until that is done, if its looking thing i mix cornflour with water and add that then cook that out and its nice and thick then add on the dumplins if you want them but i dont like them lol

hey presto easy peasy and its only 1 pot!!

i have stew one day then keep it i the fridge until the next day and i make a pie by sticking pastry on the tiop!! Very Happy mmm yummy!

hope that helps x
xxJadexx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:52 pm 
Post subject:
I have a slow cooker my mum lent me and I literally thow beef cubes in (I don't bother cooking them first) then potatoes, onion, carrots mushrooms swede or whatever you fancy. put boiling hot water in to just cover the veg and two veg stock cubes two bay leaves and some "mixed herbs" then I leave it to cook over night... add some red wine if you fancy and gravy granules to thicken it up if it's too watery.

YUMM

ClairaBell
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:23 pm 
Post subject:
I cheat at stew sometimes.

I buy the stewing steak. Fry that unil nearly sealed. I also buy some ready prepared casserole veg (1 from asda if on a budget). Please these in the stewing pot and make up gravy (as thick or thin as you want). Then I add the beef and bang in the oven for about hour and half to 2 hours. I also add some more potatoes cos theres not many in the pack. xxx
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:16 pm 
Post subject:
With stews the longer you leave it the better, obvioulsy on a low heat so it doesnt burn. I just get stewing diced beef, chopp up onions and veg, add seasoning then melt two beef stock cubes in boiling water, 2 pints-ish. If your worried about it being runny, towards the end add some gravey granuals to thicken it up. Also dumplings will add to the thickness. Very Happy
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:28 am 
Post subject:
I always use my slow cooker and put in on the morning for about 6-7 hrs on low. the meat just melts in your mouth.
Once the meat is cooked I put it into a big saucepan and I add onion, carrot sometimes parsnip and peeled spuds. I use the water from the meat and mix in oxtail soup and cook it all on low till the veg is cooked, 45 mins and there you have it. Brown stew as we call it here in Southern Ireland. A must - is to serve with crusty bread and butter.

You can also get white stew but that is made with lamb shank and also lovely.

Shadowfax
Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:24 pm 
Post subject:
I have never been able to make a "non-watery" stew, either in the oven or slow cooker, so I just use gravy instead of stock now, and cook for at least 2 hours over a low heat. I like to use braising steak (cheaper than stewing steak but pretty much the same thing, you just have to cut it up yourself!) or cheap cuts of pork e.g. the shoulder.
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:47 am 
Post subject:
If you add potatoes, they over cook and thicken the stew. Alternativly try grating a potato in it
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:06 am 
Post subject:
I use barley in my stew aswell, that thickens up the sauce, and makes it abit more hearty!! I cook stewing steak for approx 1.5 hour with onions mushrooms and stock/gravy, bay leaf and barley, then add potatoes, carrots, celery and cook for a further 30 mins.

Delish!
Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:33 am 
Post subject:
OOOh Andrea, that sounds lovely, Im going to make it like that!

Jump to:  

Community

Popular