Bottle Sterilisation

marcy
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:57 am 
Post subject: Bottle Sterilisation
Hi
I use a steam steriliser and the guidelines say that the bottles are sterile for up to 3 hours if the lid remains on, however, as bottles should only be made up as and when required, do I then have to sterlisie all the remaing bottles again ????
Or should I fill all the bottles with cool boiled water and re-heat to 70 degrees and add formula as required???
Thanks, looking forward to your reply
Very confused !
michp
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:29 pm 
Post subject:
I have come to this web site to find the answer to this question also! So if anyone knows, please say!!!!
xXx
Linzxx
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:45 pm 
Post subject:
You have to sterilize them all again. I changed because of this to a cold water system. Bottles could be left in there and just took out when needed still sterilized.
michp
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:09 pm 
Post subject:
I asked my health visitor about the bottles and apparently if you put them together then they are sterile for a whole day hence how you can take them out!
CharlieMarley
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:08 pm 
Post subject:
Hi all,
This goes against all the advise, but having spoken to my HV and midwife, it is perfectly okay to make up all your feeds every 24 hours.
Make sure you do so in a sterile and clean environment with cleaned work surfaces and hands etc, and there is no problem.
I used to make as required, and I promise you will not look back. They used to do this until very recently, but the guidelines are directed at the 'not so clean' new parents. Also, if you aren't very hygeneic, or leave the made up bottles out at room temperature, etc etc, then the manufacturers are scared of litigation.
I boil the kettle and after the 30 minutes, make up 6 bottles every evening, and then put in the microwave when required. Again, this goes against the guidelines, but that advise is aimed at the people who do not properly shake the bottle before feeding, and there may be chance of a hot bubble hurting the baby.
There really is not difference in expressing breast milk and storing in a sterilised bottle in the fridge until required.
You will not look back.
Linzxx
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:52 pm 
Post subject:
i would never heat my baby bottles up in the microwave!!! We aren't told not to for nothing...So much safer to heat in a jug of very hot water.. doesnt take that long, we're only told these things to keep baby safe!!!! Smile

Lin (a very hygenic person) Laughing
Loobylou
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:57 pm 
Post subject: Bottle sterilisation
Hi

Im gonna get shot down in bits here but i make bottles up and store them in the fridge then warm up in a jug of hot water, but they are all used in less then 24 hours!!!!! All this new legislation , there are that many horror stories, and guidelines, do's and dont's to follow one day no one will know what to do!!!!!
Its all very well the government saying we are not to pre make bottles but how many of them get up during the night, put the steamer on wait for 8-10mins, boil the kettle, mix the formula then wait for it to cool down, in the mean time baby is screaming the place down because they have to wait!!!!!!
Sorry but i would rather have a baby who is calm and content and get a half decent nights sleep
Confused
ch4rli3
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:36 am 
Post subject:
my son is nrly 6months old and from birth, my health visitor has said it is fine to heat bottles up in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it through, as long as you test it before feeding to your baby! I dont really see what difference it makes heating in the microwave to heating in a jug of water?????
My son has never been ill since birth, so dont really see what harm it does?
I also think that if you protect every germ from your baby for years and keep every type of germ and bacteria as far away from your baby as possible, they will never be able to build up an immune system and never be able to fight off anything they may get very easily such as colds etc!
Linzxx
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:47 pm 
Post subject:
Well I will definately not be microwaving my babys bottles in case of hot spots!!!
As for babys having to come across germs to build an immune system, yes I agree, but you have to be very careful with anything that has had milk in as the bacteria can grow rapidly! Should we not bother sterilizing at all then?? Confused
My son comes across many germs from his toys, and from rolling around on the carpet, I think thats plenty to get his immune system built up for the time being Smile
ch4rli3
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:47 am 
Post subject:
Im not saying not to steralise!! Of course steralising bottles is essential! I just dont see the difference between heating bottles in a microwave to heating in a jug of hot water! My health visitor recommended from birth to microwave the bottles.....?
Linzxx
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:29 am 
Post subject:
My health visitor said a big No No to heating in microwave, surely its a completely different kind of heating in microwave, all those waves heating from the inside to out or wotever??Oh well we all do what we think is best for our baby Smile
As long as our babys our thriving thats the main thing Smile
ch4rli3
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:33 pm 
Post subject:
Very true!! I think different areas tell u completely different things!!! Confused
Linzxx
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:36 pm 
Post subject:
I think you're right Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular