SEVERE HAYFEVER AND PREGNANCY

somoslagente
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:29 am 
Post subject: SEVERE HAYFEVER AND PREGNANCY
My hayfever has been really bugging me for the last day or so.

i get it really bad in summer - so I expect it to get worse.

I usually take Telfast 120 or 180 depending on the severity and started taking beconase nose spray last year.

I had a reaction to the airfreshener in the centre I was teaching a few weeks ago and so went to the nearby 24 hour Asda to speak to the pharmasist there to see what I could take.
He said Beconase was okay but wouldnīt recommend or encourage me to buy it unless the doctor told me to.

Thankfully the symptoms went away after I had left the centre and blown my nose, wiped my eyes.

This week it is hayfever for sure. My eyes are stinging so much and I canīt stop sneezing. I have 4 or 5 heavy duty weeks at university to go - so will need to take something to calm down the hayfever.

Pirotine and Clarytyn just make me feel sleepy and so it wouldnīt be safe for me to drive (one pharmacist I spoke to says that docs sometimes prescibe these in bad cases).

The trainee midwife I spoke to during my first appointment (while the midwife was making my scan appointment) said that lots of docs WONīT prescribe ANYTHING AT ALL. I canīt handle that! and think that pregnant women should just avoid pollen. For me thatīs almost impossible.

ANYONE ABLE TO ADVISE ME?
gingin
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:57 am 
Post subject:
oh blimey wot a mare ! but you know its weird i am in sweden and i dont usually suffer a lot but am sneezing snuffling everyday at first i thought i was getting a cold but it hasnt happened so am assuming now i have early hayfever too !
if you get any info pls share it
g
x
somoslagente
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:56 pm 
Post subject: doctor
going to doc tommorow and will let u know how it goes
tealbutterfly
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:18 pm 
Post subject:
click the link from nhs direct hay fever in pregnancy.....

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/Zones/Zone.aspx?zoneId=1&articleid=935
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:46 pm 
Post subject: thanks
thanks for the link

am going to take a good look at it

seriously my hayfever is killing me today and the doctor told me not to take anything at all

NOTHING

itīs driving me CRAZY
somoslagente
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:57 pm 
Post subject: thank goodness
looks like i CAN actually take something
One appointment getting made for Friday if I wake up and the symptoms are still bad.

might sound a bit selfish - but this is what i call an emergency. never go to the doctor - but I feel like I am dying or going crazzzzzzzzzzyyyy
somoslagente
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:15 pm 
Post subject: NHS Advice
Can I take hay fever medicine during pregnancy?

Generally, you should not take any medicines while you are pregnant. This is especially the case during the first three months. Your doctor may prescribe medicines which have been used in pregnancy and appear to be safe. You should take the smallest effective dose for the shortest time and newer, untested medicines should be avoided.
Antihistamines

Antihistamines prevent the body from releasing the chemicals that cause an allergic reaction.

Antihistamines are not licensed for use in pregnancy. However, the older (sedating) antihistamines (such as chlorpheniramine) are usually considered safe to take in pregnancy. You must take care when driving as they can cause drowsiness.

You can also usually use antihistamine eye-drops (use with care as some people are allergic to them). An antihistamine nasal spray can usually be used with caution during pregnancy. However, you should consult your doctor first if you are intending to use eye-drops or nasal sprays.

You should not use the newer, non-sedative antihistamines (such as terfenadine, astemizole, loratidine and cetirizine), as the safety of these medicines in pregnancy has not been established.
Decongestants

You should not take decongestant medicines or nasal decongestants unless specifically prescribed by your doctor, as there is insufficient evidence of their safety.
Corticosteroid nasal sprays

These reduce inflammation in the nose. The amount of corticosteroids in nasal sprays is small. They are generally considered safe for short-term use, as long as you use the recommended dose. Drops should be avoided as more of the medicine is absorbed into your body and so there is more risk of side effects.
Sodium Cromoglycate

Sodium Cromoglycate prevent allergic reactions in the nose and eyes. This is a non-steroid preventative medicine and is available over-the-counter (OTC) as eye drops or a nasal spray and is usually considered safe for use in pregnancy. Sodium cromoglycate is relatively short-acting, so has to be used several times a day to be effective.

Your doctor will advise you on what is safe to take and can provide medicines on prescription, which are free while you are pregnant. Your pharmacist will also be able to advise you on what is safe to take.

Always try to avoid the symptoms of hay fever:

* Keep away from areas of long grass and other pollen-rich areas, particularly when the pollen count is at its highest in the afternoon and evening.

* Keep windows closed.

* Wear large sun glasses while outside to prevent pollen reaching the sensitive eye membranes.

* Remember beaches with on-shore breezes often have less pollen.

* Take a shower and wash your hair after going outside when the pollen count is high.

* Check the day's pollen forecast if you are planning an outing.
beachwaves
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:33 am 
Post subject:
That's serious. I hope you'll get well soon! I would recommend that you see a doctor before you take anything. There are some ingredients in those medicines that can do a lot of harm to your baby and I'm sure you don't want that to happen.
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:55 am 
Post subject: MONDAY
Yes I cannot wait for my appointment on Monday with the doc to have a few words.

Am hoping the pollen count in Scotland is lower than it must be right now in Spain.

Have barricaded myself in this morning - itīs nice and sunny - but not that hot and itīs more windy than anything (which blows the dreaded pollen and dust in my eyes and up my nose.

considered stuffing vaseline up my nose LOL but havenīt done it so far - also do the big dark glasses thing HAHA to cover the red eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular