Gardeners/Growers/Poultry Keepers....

Floop
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:21 pm 
Post subject: Gardeners/Growers/Poultry Keepers....
Any of the above on here?

Ive got three useless chickens how think the optimum place to lay eggs is under a wheelbarrow Shocked Laughing

Im also going at it this autumn/winter preparing my veg plot. I played unsucessfully at it this year but im keen to knuckle down.

Annoy me and I will sit on you.... and it will hurt! Smile
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:01 am 
Post subject:
I grow veg but had a pretty rubbish year this year due to all the rain , have decided to grow less varieties next year and just stick to the things that did best , would like some chickens but don't really have room Sad Laughing
Floop
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:47 am 
Post subject:
You'd be amazed how little room they actually need. Im lucky I have a big garden but you can have a couple chickens in quite a small space.

Most things were a disaster for me too. It was either too hot or too wet. Im going to buy more containers and grow bags this year as my mum did really well with her veg and herbs.

StaceyRD
Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:46 am 
Post subject:
Ooooh Floop... A chicken question for you!!
My mum has two chickies, Doris and Elsie Wink , got them from Omlet ( Laughing ) earlier this year.
By looking on the website it says they're Gingernut Ranger's and would've been about 16weeks old.
Problem is, they both laid eggs early on and were very consistent, then one day Elsie got poorly Sad Was for about a week, maybe, during which she stopped laying, then got completely better, and now doesn't lay! Everywhere me and mum have looked says she should be put down Shocked
Is it really harmful to keep her when she's so perky and well, the only flaw being she's a chicken who no longer lays eggs?! She lays soft ones around the garden, maybe 4-5 times a month. which we've read can be deficiency, but mum's fed her everything that's meant to help to no avail. Any ideas?! Very Happy
xx

Floop
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:50 pm 
Post subject:
Does your mum give them oyster shells and grit? That might help. I would say if shes healthy and happy to keep her. Tbh it does sound like a strange ailment that maybe only a vet or experienced poultry keep will know.

Ill have a look through my books and mags and see if there is a hint in something. I s'pose hens can be like humans, some are fertile and some maybe are not. Confused

Soz ive not been much help Cool

StaceyRD
Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:33 pm 
Post subject:
She does, yes. We were advised that so mum gives as much as she can. Elsie loves it but just doesn't lay! She goes through the motions of, i.e. sits on the nest after Doris in the morning, or even sits on Doris' egg Laughing but none of her own. Mum hasn't mentioned recently that any soft eggs have been laid, come to think of it.
Just upsetting to read online she should be put down - it's cruel and she's so happy and healthy!
Thank you though Very Happy

Floop
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:23 pm 
Post subject:
Yer it is but on a basic leval most poultry keepers keep them for laying potential and any risk to their flock isnt good.

I started out with that intention of them just being there to provide food but I got suckered in and now they are proper pets. I natter to them and freak when ones gone hiding or looks poorly Embarassed Laughing

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular