A worried dad :(

Aykay
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:17 am 
Post subject: A worried dad :(
Hello all,

Can someone help me put my mind to rest please?

My and my fiancé are both 23 and out son was born 5 months ago. Everything's great with him and my fiancé is a fantastic mother Smile

We both work for the same company, I'm on £22k (£1400 take home per month) and she is on £16.5k (around £1000 take home per month).

Her maternity from our company has only been basic statutory maternity pay, but we've managed ok with our mortage so far. We don't live a lavish life at all, and we're not in any sort of debt.

The issue now is going back to work. To go back we have to travel via train (£56 per month) and child care is about £40 per day- working it out she's only on £56 per day - so going back part time (2 or 3 days per week) and having to pay child care isn't worth it and we think she'd lose all benefits (currently about £40 per week).

What's the answer here?

I mean on my salary every month I pay the shopping m, mortage, bills etc which are about £900-£1000 which doesn't leave a lot to support all 3 of us, let alone our other bills (insurances, fuel etc)

It just seems like nothing works in the favour of those who it should Sad
cailin09
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:33 pm 
Post subject:
Have ye any family that can help out with childcare? if they did a day each a wk (your & oh mom) could save you both £80.
Is there an option of working from home?
Have ye looked at cheaper options for childcare?

Twigg
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:57 pm 
Post subject:
I know how you feel it is so frushtrating that there isnt much support for flexibility and people who want to work!
You can see if your employer does a salary sacrafice or child care vouchers, if you pay out of your salary you get a ni and tax relief.
Your oh could look to working more locally or what about a weekend job so you would have a bit of cash!
We cant pay our bills etc on one salary so I have no choice but to work but I want my lo to have a nice home and things so she deserves it.

Good luck! Smile
littleted
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:51 am 
Post subject:
Have you looked into how much in tax credits you would get if you were both just living on your salary? There's a qualifying thing on direct.gov

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/TaxCreditsandChildBenefit/TaxCredits/Gettingstarted/whoqualifies/DG_181268
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:54 pm 
Post subject:
Tax credits might make it up - or perhaps return to another job, I use to work fulltime day in youth work and brought home after tax about £1000 now i work in mental health and work 2 nights a week so leave and am home before my partner goes to work - we get family to help out when there is the odd overlap in time i usually make about £800 after tax - night jobs are fairly well paid, Another option is becoming a childminder - The courses are free it doesnt take long to become one and then she can stay at home with your child and earn money - if you are in England you need to look at Ofsted they explain how to become one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Finances All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular