tomato recipes please!!!

Laura77
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:35 pm 
Post subject: tomato recipes please!!!
Hi all,

I have a bumper crop of tomatoes this year and don;t have any great recipes for things like chutneys or salsas which I really love! Anyone have a fab one up their culinary sleeve? Thanks girls! Very Happy

Laura
AliBobble
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:39 pm 
Post subject:
Ooh, don't know about salsa's ect, but we always have the same problem with our massive tomato crop, so we make pasta sauces with them Smile

The best one is a diced onion & about 4 finely chopped garlic cloves, reduced in a little olive oil in a pan until soft. Add the chopped tomoatos, a large pinch of mixed herbs & a big squeeze of tomato puree, and then let the whole pan simmer for about 40 minutes, adding water as needed so it doesn't catch or burn.

Then stir fry some chicken or turkey with a few chopped mushrooms 9or whatever you fancy really), cook some pasta & then chuck everything in one big pan together to mix & allow the pasta to absorb the flavours. It's yummy, there's nothing bad in there & no need to add salt, which all the jars always contain.

We get so many tomatos that we make a big pan & freeze it in portions. Its also nice used on a pizza base Smile

i
Laura77
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:11 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for the tip - I've managed a chutney, so next lot will get sauced!

Laura Smile
yummumamanda
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:31 pm 
Post subject:
Macaroni and tomatoes is a family favorite in our house not only because kids like it but because it's a recipe kids can make. This cheesy, gooey recipe is most definitely not gourmet fare, but it's fast, cheap and easy. And kids love it!

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:
1 pound macaroni, dry
1 large can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
12 ounces tomato juice
6-8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
Preparation:
Fill a large soup pot half full of water and bring to a boil. Add macaroni and stir lightly to break up sticking pasta pieces.
While the macaroni is cooking, grate cheese. Set aside. Take out a strainer or colander and put in sink.
Cook macaroni for 1 minute less than the minimum cooking time on the box. Carefully pour pasta and water into a strainer over sink. Drain macaroni thoroughly and return to cooking pot. Stir in all other ingredients. Simmer on low for 2-3 minutes.
Do not simmer any longer than 3 minutes or the cheese will become stringy. Even when simmering for the time suggested, cheese will stick to the spoon and the pot.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular