unpaid maternity leave, can i claim benefits?

calliemum
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:53 pm 
Post subject: unpaid maternity leave, can i claim benefits?
Hi,

I work full time and am taking an extra 3 months maternity leave after my SMP which is unpaid, can i claim any other benefits apart from working tax credits?

Callie x
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:00 am 
Post subject:
Im not 100% sure but you can ring tax credits to check. I really recommend you do this ASAP so you dont get stung for repayments Rolling Eyes

They told me that working tax credits only covered your 39 wks SMP and that if I took the extra 13wks I would not recieve WTC, just CTC. I ended up resigning (my job was min wage and treated me unfairly during preg, couldnt face taking a case but really feel if I had the money and energy I would have won) so that I would be entitled to income support during what I would have taken as the 13wks unpaid (had I stayed on unpaid payroll as far as I know I would not have been entitled to any financial support apart from same rate of CTC as had been receiving, child benefit and housing benefit if you qualify) I am taking this opportunity to gain voluntary experience for a new career.

I have friends who have not notified tax credits that they have taken the unpaid leave but a few have found that at the end of the tax year the gov have realised they didnt earn as much as predicted (due to effectively not working/receiving maternity pay) and they have been asked to repay the extra months WTC. Some have had their payments reduced over the next financial year (so may not effect you until 2011 tax year) but others have had payments recalculated within weeks.

Contact tax credits to double check! x
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:11 am 
Post subject:
Thanks, i will give them a ring see what they say.

Callie x
Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:23 pm 
Post subject:
i know its a while since you posted this but did you find out if you were intitled to anything after 39 weeks maternity leave
Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:38 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,

all i got more working tax credit as my yearly income went down, was not entitled to anything else.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular