Hirschsprung's Disease

happychick77
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:38 pm 
Post subject: Hirschsprung's Disease
Hi All

Just wondering if anyone on here is familiar with this? My baby boy was born with it and has recently had is pull-through surgery.

It seems pretty rare so not really had anyone to talk to who has experienced it.

Cheers

Kelly
x Very Happy

helenm73
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:55 pm 
Post subject:
hi there,
i have never heard of it but just wanted to say that i hope ur little boy will be okay..xx
happychick77
Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:02 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks Helen. Very Happy

I'm sure he will be just fine but it seems its one of those things we will only know over time if there will be any future issues for him.

Very briefly hirschsprung's is diagnosed when certain nerve cells are missing in the intestine - in majority of cases apparently only the lower intestine is affected (as is the case with my Cameron). The missing nerves are the ones that make the bowel contract pushing waste through - so when it arrived at the affected area it just doesn't pass and causes a blockage. The surgery removes this section and re-attaches "good working" bowel to the anus.

helenm73
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:18 pm 
Post subject:
happychick77 wrote:
Thanks Helen. Very Happy

I'm sure he will be just fine but it seems its one of those things we will only know over time if there will be any future issues for him.

Very briefly hirschsprung's is diagnosed when certain nerve cells are missing in the intestine - in majority of cases apparently only the lower intestine is affected (as is the case with my Cameron). The missing nerves are the ones that make the bowel contract pushing waste through - so when it arrived at the affected area it just doesn't pass and causes a blockage. The surgery removes this section and re-attaches "good working" bowel to the anus.

aww ur poor wee man..i hop everything works out ok 4 him..xxx
daisierabbit79
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:00 pm 
Post subject:
Happychick77

My daughter Megan was diagnosed with this when she was 6 wks old. She had her pullthrough done at 7 weeks.. She is 6 years old

Feel free to email me if you need to ask anything else?

lizzigray1979@hotmail.com

Lx
happychick77
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:22 pm 
Post subject:
HIya Daisierabbit
Thanks for your reply - I have sent you an e-mail asking a few questions hope you don't mind.
Smile

hannahthompson
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:06 am 
Post subject:
Hirschsprung* disease (HD) is a disease of the large intestine that causes severe constipation or intestinal obstruction. Constipation means stool moves through the intestines slower than usual. Bowel movements occur less often than normal and stools are difficult to pass. Some children with HD canít pass stool at all, which can result in the complete blockage of the intestines, a condition called intestinal obstruction. People with HD are born with it and are usually diagnosed when they are infants. Less severe cases are sometimes diagnosed when a child is older. An HD diagnosis in an adult is rare. The large intestine, which includes the colon and rectum, is the last part of the digestive tract. The large intestineís main job is to absorb water and hold stool. The rectum connects the colon to the anus. Stool passes out of the body through the anus. At birth, the large intestine is about 2 feet long. An adultís large intestine is about 5 feet long. Before birth, a childís nerve cells normally grow along the intestines in the direction of the anus. With HD, the nerve cells stop growing too soon. Why the nerve cells stop growing is unclear. Some HD is inherited, meaning it is passed from parent to child through genes. HD is not caused by anything a mother did while pregnant. The main symptoms of HD are constipation or intestinal obstruction, usually appearing shortly after birth. Constipation in infants and children is common and usually comes and goes, but if your child has had ongoing constipation since birth, HD may be the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Special Needs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular