Would we be entitled to anything at all?

Mandbaby
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:53 pm 
Post subject: Would we be entitled to anything at all?
I currently work part time and bring home about 600 a month (before deductions, I suppose I'm earning about 9250 a year. My OH earns about 45k a year. After our second one is born, at the end of my maternity leave, I probably wont return to work, so we'll just have his wage.

He obviously JUST falls into the higher tax payer bracket, so in 2013 we'll lose our family allowance (Grrrr...makes me really angry as 2 parents both earning 39k will get to keep their family allowance, but we wont!) Anyway, are we CURRENTLY entitled to any extra in credits (with our combined 55k a year) or in the future with just his 45k.

I imagine that we're probably not - and some of you are reading this thinking "what on earth do THEY need help for?!", but honestly, we really struggle to make ends meet as it is and we don't have flash cars/holidays/phones/TVs or ANYTHING. Neither of us smoke or drink, don't have expensive hobbies, but we're broke at the end of every month.

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:18 pm 
Post subject:
I agree with you about the child benefit, I think the governments excuse that it would cost too much to means test it properly is a cop out as what they are proposing will be means testing it anyway . As a familly of six we live on less than you though , I think you just have to live to your means sometimes and we are planning on moving house to get our mortgage down , and have already made some small changes, like not visiting relatives as much, less takeaways, being a bit more careful with the food shopping etc. I think most people are in the same boat at the moment unfortunately x
kez1985
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:59 pm 
Post subject:
I think the threshold for Tax Credits is 46k. Check HMRC website for an estimate calculation. x

jane1978
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:19 pm 
Post subject:
I don't think so as the child tax credits threshold is changing.

Me and OH earn 55 k between us but I am going part time so it'll be about 45k ish - so we still get child benefit but we won't get tax credtis from 2012. The only thing we can get is child care vouchers - but if you aren't working I guess that doesn't help !

We do get tax credits now of 80 ish a month and will do next year as I;ve been on mat leave but not after that as the threshold is going down

It annoys me !! we've both worked since we were 13 so nearly 40 years between us !!!! and we get nothing ! I'm sure your situation is similar if not worse as we earn quite simialr amounts so get the child benefit

Jump to:  

Community

Popular