Trying for a second baby after a premature baby.

kez1985
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:47 pm 
Post subject: Trying for a second baby after a premature baby.
Hi all,

I'm new on here any just looking for a bit of advise really.

I'm 25 and me and my partner are currently trying for our second child, we already have a daughter but she was born at 26+6 so we are naturally anxious about our next baby being early.

Our daughter is now fit and healthy but she spent 13 weeks in hopital and she is our little miracle, we have not been put off having anymore children after quite a traumatic time with our daughter but we could do with some advise. I have done my research on the risks of more children after premmies and every site tells a different tale.

I would love to hear off anyone who has had children after a premature baby, as we could do with some true life advise.

Many Thanks Ladies and Babies.

Kerry
xxx
sazzo
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:14 am 
Post subject:
Hi Kerry

I'm so pleased your little girl is well, i too would love to hear any replys.

I gave birth to our first born child on March 12th 2010 at 25+5 wks, for 26 days he put up the bravest fight ever, but just grew too tired and closed his eyes and fell asleep on April 7th 2010, breaking our hearts.

Last week i got a BFP and am now extremely scared regarding my pregnancy.

Love Sarah xx
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:35 am 
Post subject:
I'm sort of in the same boat Ladies ttc after my last child was born at 33 weeks , not as early as yours and he was only in special care for two weeks . I was told it depends entirely on the reason why your baby was prem whether it's likely to happen again, for example if it was "cervical incompetence" then it's likely but if it was unexplained or because of an infection then it's not as likely . I'm sure the midwives and doctors will be able to give you a better idea when you see them and FX you will both be fine this time x
kez1985
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:07 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Sarah,

I'm so sorry to hear about your little boy, I really hope your new pregnancy goes well.

We was so lucky she managed to hang in there, but there was a few occasions when we had to prepare ourselves for the worse, she had 2 holes in her heart and a open duct (PDA) - she suffered Heart Failure and nearly contracted MRSA. Luckily she overcome everything against all odds.

Did you ever get told why you went into labour early? I was never told anything, one day I started to bleed and have tummy pains, a few hours later she was born.

Hopefully this pregnancy will have a happier outcome for you. I've got my fingers crossed for you hun.

xxx
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:52 pm 
Post subject:
yes i too think ti depends on y u had ur 1st early.

because u had ur daughter at 26 weeks u will be kept a more close eye on in ur next pregnancy.

it is something i worry about it too if we were to have another chidl woudl it come early but i spose thats y im not having another at the moment.

kez1985
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:19 pm 
Post subject:
Yea I've been told they will monitor me more next time around.

I tried to contact my hospital to see if there was anything on my records as to why I had her early but nothing came back.

Our GP is really good too, he has 4 children and all were prem so he is very understanding and good for advise too. He has told us we are approx 20% more likely to have a prem than a woman who hasn't had a prem - which is a lot lower than I would have expected.

But with those figures we still have an 80% chance of having a term baby next time, which is very hopeful

x
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:22 pm 
Post subject:
yes thats a good perecentage i wud say:)

sazzo
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:19 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Kez1965

They think my prem labour was because of incompetant cervix but i also had strep b and they think that Josephs waters were also infected but not sure.

They will be putting in a stich this time just in case xx

Love Sarah
kez1985
Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:07 pm 
Post subject:
Yea I've been told about that stitch - It doesn't sound very pleasant but if it works that's the main thing.

I think sometimes worrying that the next one will come early won't really help either.

x

sophie2008
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:01 am 
Post subject:
one premmie dont mean all you babies will be premmie. You may have a healthy term or maybe sadly an over due (nothing like a due date coming and going) one.... you just never know..
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:52 pm 
Post subject:
Yea true, when we was up the NNU we spoke to a lot of families, 1 couple has 2 term babies and 3rd was prem for no apparent reason and another lady I got talking to was on her 4th prem - all has arrived between 28 and 33 weeks again no reason for it.

LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:25 am 
Post subject:
Hav u decided wether u will start ttc? And can i ask if ur daughter is walking yet?
We want to hav another and wud love to start ttc another but wiv Georgia nt walking and undergoing tests at the hospital we hav decided we need to wait a bit longer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Premature Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular