having more children with a special needs child

Kenty
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:35 pm 
Post subject: having more children with a special needs child
my daughter has 'global developmental delay' which is an umbrella term for stuff like cerebral palsy(which is what we think she has'

i've accepted that my baby has alot of problems and it will take a long time to walk, if she walks at all...

i'd been considering trying for my third child soon(she has a little brother) but it hit me today...she's probably going to be in a wheelchair....so how would i manage a pram and pushchair when she is too big for a double pram!?!

anyone have a baby and a child in a wheelchair?

is it stupid to consider another baby??? would appreciate advice from anyone!

taramascara
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:56 pm 
Post subject:
Hey Kenty hun I have seen 4 5 6 year olds in pushchairs so im sure it will be a long time b4 she needs 1 if at all Smile And personally I think that you are really desperate for another baby so you should do it sooner rather than later Im sure what ever decision you come to it will be the right 1 for u Lotsa love XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:07 pm 
Post subject:
My daughter who has down syndrome is 3 and my son is 8 months old. We have them in a double buggy at the moment and it is fine. By the time she has outgrown it my son should be walking or that is what I'm hoping for. My daughter can walk tho.. she has problems with falling over etc but it's mainly behavioural issues with her walking. Does your child have an occupational therapist? Have a word with them as I am sure they do double major buggies which are basically prams designed for bigger children who have problems walking.. they have bigger wheels and stuff.

Also just thinking, I'm not sure if you drive or not or are in receipt of dla but surely your daughter would qualify for the mobility element of dla? I think the mobility element is only generally given at 3 years but if she is having severe issues then you can make a case for getting it earlier as my friend who's son did not walk until he was 5 did just that.

Kenty
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:53 am 
Post subject:
tara, much as i'd love to just go ahead i have to be totally practical about it

della, i never considered asking her OT..i don't see her again until 1st july but definitely can't hurt to ask!

i'm not in receipt of DLA yet, but even if i doget it as you said, they don't get mobility until they are 3, probably because they're fine in a buggy until then

my main concern is that we're out and about alot and walk pretty much everywhere so obviously if we have a wheelchair, and then a double for lewis and a new baby'(he'll be able to walk but will still need abuggy i assume) then it'll mean i can't go out without sam and eventhen it'll be hard work Sad

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:46 pm 
Post subject:
Sorry if this is abit late, but I saw womeone recently who had a child in a wheelchair, and had a buggy type attachement on the side. Sort of like a double buggy/wheelchair.

claire2012
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:17 pm 
Post subject: global delay
hi there

i have a son with global delay too, he's unable to walk or talk and uses a maclaren major buggy, in my opinion i think if u really want another child then go for it, i myself am pregnant but it took me a long time to get here because i was thinking the same as urself( 5 years) my son isn't likely to walk any time soon, but i am hoping there is something out there that will allow me to transport my baby and my son around fingers crossed hey.
AngelaL76
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:02 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Kenty,

Late I know, not been on here for a while. Sophie was 23 months when Katie was born and we walk and bus everywhere and I've never used a double buggy Sophie walks. She has been whiny and tired at times but never in an unmanageable way- go for it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Special Needs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular