How old should a child be to start at Nursery?

CharlieFord
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:26 am 
Post subject: How old should a child be to start at Nursery?
My little boy is just over 8 months old, my wife wants him to go to a nursery twice a week but i think he is too young. How old does anyone think a child should be before he is looked after by someone else?
Aliaj
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:16 pm 
Post subject: Matter of choice...
Hi - I am a Early Years Worker and there are no hard and fast rules as to when children should start in Nursery. There are lots of benefits to a child going to nursery and some children love the interaction and friendships they are able to form (especially if it is local to where you live and they will probably bump into their friends in Sainsbury's !!). I was the Deputy at the nursery where my son went to full-time from the age of 4mths. Although we no longer are there he still is friends with several children who he was with for the first three yrs of his life. I'm sure they will stay friends for as long as we are able to keep in touch. It sounds as though you have a choice whether or not yr baby goies to nursery, maybe mum would just like a couple of childfree hours a week ~ which to be honest is also a good thing for yr baby to meet other people and build up other relationships. Children are extremely resilient and react much better to changes than we do as adults. I suggest you look around at a few nurseries, see what they provide in the way of activites and care and try him for a few weeks. If he hates it then maybe wait till he's a bit older and try again.

Hope it goes well.
Aliaj
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular