Nausea while BF?

LacisMom
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:54 am 
Post subject: Nausea while BF?
Does anyone else feel a wave of nausea when they first begin to BF? I asked my MD about it - and she asked if I "hold my breath." Um, no. Obviously, the MD was no help. I read online that some women do experience it, the problem is - I haven't met another mom that does. And it makes me feel strangely guilty...
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:45 am 
Post subject:
hiya

I used to get a very weird pit of the tummy feeling at first. I kind of felt like a heavy thread pulling from nipple to right in the bottom of my tummy, and if I hadn't eaten in a while it would make me feel slightly nauseous. I would say eat something just before you feed - ginger biscuits are good as ginger reduces nausea, and it puts something energising in you. Also have a drink with you for feeding times - cup of tea, or some frsh juice, or a glass of milk. For the night feeds and first morning feeds, if you don't want to or can't eat, have some chewy mints or sucking sweets to hand and try to put one in your mouth beofre baby latches on.

Don't feel guilty - it's not an emotional reaction, just a physical one Smile

Anna
xx
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:30 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks. I hadn't thought of maybe snacking a little before/during breastfeeding. I will definitely try the ginger biscuits. Mints are also a great idea for the 3am feeding as I know I will not eat at that time. Thanks for the suggestions. I will let you know how they pan out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Postnatal Health All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular