old enough for cough medicine?

fuzzyferret
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:53 am 
Post subject: old enough for cough medicine?
my daughter has recently turned 2. seems she is starting to come down with a cough. Anyone know if I can give her cough medicine now? vaguely remember going to the pharmacy & being told cannot be given to under-2's,but I'm not sure... THanks.

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:47 am 
Post subject:
I think they dont advise that you give proper cough medicines to children at all now even older than two, but a simple linctus type such as honey and lemon with no real medicine type ingredients is usually ok I would still get it from the chemist though and check with them xx
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:51 am 
Post subject:
Just had a quick look on two bottles I got recently and it says over 12's only xx
fuzzyferret
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:35 am 
Post subject:
thanks nat. poor kids just have to suffer eh? i'l call in pharmacy tomorrow to see if they have anything. Thanks.

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:38 am 
Post subject:
I think it's just a precaution after there were some deaths in the US after parents gave their kids too much , maybe because people dont really see it as a proper medicine Question , and a lot of them are only tested for adults so everybody's just erring on the side of caution now , the honey and lemon stuff is pretty good for sore throats and tickly coughs though xx
Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:30 am 
Post subject:
As Nat70 said all cough mixtures are for over 6 now even tixylix, you can just get the baby/toddler syrups which are basically just glycerol, they won't treat the cough just soothe the throat x x

Miriam84
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:59 am 
Post subject:
The honey and glycerol doesn't work at all!!! I hate not being able to give Avril anything proper, she has a dry cough quite often that keeps her up at night, and there's nothing I can do about it. The only thing that helps a little is giving her lollipops (she has no objections there Laughing) or dipping her dummy in a bit of honey.

Still, I think it's unfair that all kids are being punished because of some dumb parents that can't read the label... Nanny state gone too far as far as I'm concerned, as you could OD kids on Calpol or Neurofen syrope just as easy, but that's still allowed... Confused Confused Confused

I'm going to ask my parents in The Netherlands to see if it's still available there and ship it over.
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:02 am 
Post subject:
I agree morriam when I heard about it I thought the same thing , I think it's just because none of the "experts" could agree on what constitutes a safe dose so the manufacturers got scared of being sued if something happened Rolling Eyes definately more common sense required xx
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:27 pm 
Post subject:
it may be that she needs an inhaler for a couple of weeks. a dry cough that comes mostly at night can often be sorted with that. I would pop down to your GP.

If you decide you want to buy her tixylix, just lie to the pharmacist Wink tell them it's for your other child who is 8 lol....

Jump to:  

Community

Popular