Very Hungry 8 week old...

CharlieMarley
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:33 pm 
Post subject: Very Hungry 8 week old...
My son is 8 weeks tomorrow and is hungry all the time. I have breast fed up until now, although I have dropped all but 2 breast feeds. However, after I breast feed, I end up topping up on formula (hungry baby aptimal), even though I still have loads of milk. It's as if the breast milk is no longer satisfying him now he has tasted formula. As a result, my breasts are quite painful.
He was 8lb 8oz at birth and is now 15lbs. We currently give him 7oz bottles every 3 hours including during the night although he would take more if we allowed him. I'm scared of over feeding.
Should I increase the formula contrary to the guidelines for his age (even though he is much bigger than average), or even consider baby rice? I was given solids by 5 weeks as were all babies in the 60's and 70's.
dolphinannie
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:07 pm 
Post subject:
Hi

I know in the early days ppl weaned thier babies so much sooner but there is so much more information about how a baby's digestive system works now, which is why they say try to stay off til 6 months, i know this is not possible for all babies and some do need more sooner but i always tell people not before 17wks.

As for his feeds, have you tried giving him a bit of water in between if he still seems hungry, this would keep him tummy that little more fuller but he wouldnt be drink loads more formula. Well done for keeping up the bf this long, you're doing a great job.

sorry i cant reply more, my lo has just woken up, will try to get back on later.
Annie x x
dolphinannie
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:52 pm 
Post subject:
hi
sorry it took me so long to reply , only just got back on here after a hectic few days.
Anyway another big factor when it comes to weaning is whether they can sit up/support thier own head. This is because they need to be able to sit up when eating as laying down can lead to choking. PLease ring a breastfeeding councillor for better information, they are fantastic and can help all problems and have a lot more experience than health visitors and midwives.
Hth xxx
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:07 pm 
Post subject: Re: Very Hungry 8 week old...
hi there my son needed more food at just 7 weeks so it was rusk that i gave him mixed in with a bit of formula milk and was spoon fed to him in his bouncer, and that was washed down with water or very weak orange to stop constipation, i also gave him baby rice mixed the same as rusk and he was having 3 too 4 spoon fulls in the morning and at night befor bed it worked very well for my boy and he was very content, but each baby is different and at the end of the day its what you feel is best for your baby,your health visitor would not advise this but if your baby is hungry and its affecting his day and sleep pattern well what else are you surposed to do. hope this can help in some way.
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:09 pm 
Post subject:
I had my son in 1996 and was feeding him liquidised roast dinners at 9 weeks he was 9ib 8oz at birth and was hungry!! Shocked

They change their minds all the time I would go by babys needs.

Flossie x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular