ne one with a deaf child?

jade25
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:41 pm 
Post subject: ne one with a deaf child?
hey i have a 5 yrold litle girl names chloe who is serve deaf so she can hear a little bit she wears hearing aids which she loves wearing them thank goodness she has very bad specch but is geting much better since being at scholl she used to have a lot of tantrums trou lack of understanding n commincation but we have come trou it n has turned out too be a very well behaved child just wondering if theres ne one else that has deaf children would love to hear ya experinces xxx

GemGemz85
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:34 am 
Post subject:
Hi Jade, how is your daughter doing? I am a special needs teacher. Do you use symbols or signing with your daughter? Makaton is a lovely simple signing method that children and adults can use to communicate.
Take care, Gemma X
GreenFish
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:49 am 
Post subject:
Hi Jade,

My brother's deaf, and there's a chance our baby will be deaf. We have no idea how big or small the odds are that he will be, but we'll just see and have him assessed once he's here in June!

How are you getting on with your daughter? Things have come a long way since my brother was born ... people are much better educated and there's much more available in the way of resources (for parents and teachers, etc.)

My brother had a cochlear implant when he was a teenager, by the way ... he absolutely hated having it put in and refuses to use it now. Apparently it's best to do these things at a very young age. Is that something you can and would consider for your daughter? Loads of pros and cons there ...

Anyway, hope you're getting on well!

jade25
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:34 pm 
Post subject:
hey gemgemz85, yeh we use bsl shes really good at it she nos more than me lol if i cant undersatnd her i ask her to sign it n she does she sees a lot of deaf inclution workers well one deaf inclution worker, 2 speech therpist plus a deaf ladie comes in and signs to her n plus she statmented so has one on one teacher at school so she a busy little girl but shes doin so well bless her im really proud of her its great all the help thats avalible,

hey green fish
like i say she geting on really well, she wont have the cocler ear implants has she still has hearing and isnt profoned in ne of the hearing levels so she jsut gotta wear her hearing aids, even if ya baby does trun out to be deaf there so much help out there but make sure they sort it out has my little girl was found late so she really suffred wiv her frustration n commincation they only picked it up wen she was 3, but ya little baby will get so much support would recomend baby signing has this could help ya baby commincat n get used to bsl wen he starts using it (if hes deaf) i wish you all the best n hope every thin is fine wiv baby xxx

GreenFish
Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:53 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks jade!

It sounds like your little girl is getting a huge amount of support, which is so important! My brother wasn't always as lucky and he's still doing really well now, so she'll fly through the things he struggled with (mostly school).

Wishing you and Chloe all the best, and thanks for your good wishes for our baby -- can't wait to meet him!

MissBehave
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:27 am 
Post subject:
Hi Jade, I have a deaf neice. Also called Chloe. Know its not the same but I looked after her for my sis before she started school. She has hearing aids too, and is now 12 and going to normal school. Right little madam she is! Bossy lol! x

hannahthompson
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:01 am 
Post subject:
She needs special teachers who teach her everything. People are much better educated and there's much more available in the way of resources (for parents and teachers, etc.)
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:21 pm 
Post subject:
i know this is an old post.

im glad to hear your dd is doin well.

my dd had a hearing test in june which she failed. she could hear certain pitches but not others and test showed a mild - moderate hearing loss and i was told she may need gromets.
she is having a retest next month so hopefully we will finally have some answers.

she is behind in her speech and doesent have much communication which is causing a lot of frustartion at the moment:(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Special Needs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular