Can I keep dragging her out or slowly potty train?

StaceyRD
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:28 pm 
Post subject: Can I keep dragging her out or slowly potty train?
Does potty training have to be done over a short time, or can it be done gradually?

When we're in the house, Isabelle seems to be extremely aware at the moment of when she needs to wee especially (we know she's pooing from the pushing and she often watches me while doing so so must know slightly what she's doing Rolling Eyes ). For about a month/6 weeks now she's been obsessed with the toilet and showing signs of being ready to potty train, but I've been trying to drag her out as all I keep being told is she'll regress when new baby comes. Know I shouldn't listen to others as they are annoying me! But I can see how it could happen.

However, Isabelle before her nap today has climbed the stairs three times calling out "wee wee" in such a cute girly voice, running for the toilet and standing with the lid up holding her nappy. I felt her nappy each time and it got warm as she weed so she knows when she's about to go (only about a minute notice though) She also tried getting her nappy off earlier by tugging at the sides. She also seems frustrated sometimes at being in a nappy.

Last week I was giving her quite a lot of nappy free time first thing in the morning and she stayed dry for a good hour/hour and a half each time, then would look down, look at me, then look down and do a wee on the floor. So I explained how she just did a wee and how she's a clever girl and sat her on the potty just to get her to know that that's where she should go. However that stopped as she got poorly and I was more worried about her not eating/drinking than I was focused on seeing how she'd go.

Now she's better again I'm wondering whether we should just go for it and potty train her slowly now - if there is such a thing? Would it work if we let her be nappy free and see how she goes while in the house, but put nappies on if we're going out? Or would that just confuse her?

Thanks in advance for any advice! x

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:28 pm 
Post subject:
i let sam have nappy free time at home, but still wore nappies for the childminder, cos the childminder wouldnt be able to let her run around half naked with other children around. so she only got evenings and weekends, then when we had managed 2 weeks of successfully using the potty at home and her telling me, then i let her go to the childminder with no nappy on.

you can try, it certainly sounds like shes pretty much ready, but be prepared for the fact she might regress, or she might not, as she might like being grown up and not wearing nappies.

StaceyRD
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:45 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks Steph. The only help I got off my mum was to keep locked in the house for a week and let her be nuddy all day long and tackle it that way. Laughing
Glad it can work to do it slowly too. How exciting. I'll see how we go! Very Happy
She got all upset yesterday after the bath - was walking around naked saying "wee wee!" again, so I sat her on the toilet with her plastic potty lid on and we read stories for about ten minutes. Don't think she went, but was nice just to get her into that way of thinking!

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:55 pm 
Post subject:
just make sure you have got plenty of kitchen roll, dettol and febreeze Laughing

i had to hide Sams nappies when we were in the house, cos she would bring me a nappy, ask to have it on, do a wee, then take it off and put it in the bin

StaceyRD
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:04 pm 
Post subject:
Clever girly! Isabelle says something for nappy (but is gobbledegook!), and she wraps her Makka Pakka teddy in them after giving him a wipe Laughing

I hope my hunch that she's ready is right (the main thing is she KNOWS what I'm saying and asking). Think for a while I'll just go back to what we were doing before and letting her be nappy free in the mornings for a few hours - she's stood on a chair playing with washing up during this time Rolling Eyes So just need to have towels nearby really!

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:48 am 
Post subject:
sam used to call them 'be ap' dont know why, but i knew what it meant.

she also used to put her doll on the changing mat, wipe her and try and put a nappy on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Nappies, Changing and Potty Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular