Floppy Leg

fletchie
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:00 pm 
Post subject: Floppy Leg
Hi,

My lil one took a tumble of a changing table at the weekend. They x-rayed her leg as she wasnt weight bearing and looked a different length. Luckily nothing broken but Doc said she has soft tissue damage and swelling.

She was born with hip dysplaysia and is awaiting anther operation.

This accident happened on Sun and today she still isnt weight bearing (she is nearly a year old) and her knee looks swollen. She doesnt move it much and has stopped rolling. Can only get on to her side.

Stupid ques, should i be worried? Take back to Docs?
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:08 pm 
Post subject:
I'd take her back, when one of mine was 4 she had an accident , and wouldn't put weight on her leg, took her to get it x-rayed they said no break but it was hot and swollen so sent us to the orthapeadic (sp?) team for a follow up saw them 3 days later still not weight bearing discussed childhood arthritis and said come back in a few more days finally a week after the accident she was sent back to x-ray to double check and she had a greenstick fracture of one of the bones in her lower leg Shocked in plaster for 6 weeks , she had started to try and walk on it a bit and the doc said that may have opened it up slightly and that it can be very hard to spot these type of fractures if they dont x-ray from just the right angle as they aren't complete breaks (hers sort of ran into and then down the bone rather than across ) so now I would always get them to double check if a child wont bear weight , FX it's nothing serious xxx
fletchie
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:55 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,

My lil one is due to hav her operation hopefully in next couple of months where she will go into a Spica Cast for approx 3 months. The Spica Cast is a full body cast where it goes from the chest to ankles.

My lil one has a physio that sees her reg. She saw her today as i told her she wasnt weight bearing. She came over and her words were somthing wasnt quite right. She is going to look at her x-rays done at the hospital at weekend tmorr and speak to my lil one's consultant.
She wants to keep an eye on it.

I am sligthly worried about the fact is that she isnt putting weight on her foot and it appears floppy.
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:22 am 
Post subject:
Thats good that the physio is going to follow it up for you, I think as a mum you just know when somethings not right with your child hopefully they can find out what the problem is and sort it out quickly xx
fletchie
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:49 pm 
Post subject:
My lil ones physio came over today, she looked at her again. She still isnt weight bearing and her knee on her bad leg is now swollen and squishy!

Physio thinks she MAY have a bruised nerve, but has to speak to an orthapaaedic consultant in Aberdeen.

Anyone got advice?
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:02 am 
Post subject:
Did she twist her knee when she fell ? My OH had an accident where he fell and twisted his knee and his knee was really swollen, he couldn't walk on his leg and it was very painful , turns out he'd damaged a ligament and there was blood and fluid building up in his knee causing pressure and pain , once he'd had the fluid drained he could walk on it again .
I wouldn't bother waiting for the physio to get back to you I'd get the gp to refer you to the A&E (or just take her down if you cant get to see him ) and they can do a direct referral to the ortho team so she actually gets seen, if it's squishy it does sound like she could have a fluid build up xxx
fletchie
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:33 am 
Post subject:
hi,

according to mum in law (i was at work)she landed with her legs tucked under her.

Her physio came over yesterday, checked her again and thinks it mite be a bruised nerve. Did think about the fluid ting and asked her that. Said the leg would be red hot if it was that and she'd b in more pain.
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:49 am 
Post subject:
Maybe, but I dont think you can generalise too much when it comes to kids, my DD had actually started trying to walk on her broken leg before they realised it was broken and I'd been told on the first visit it wasnt painful enough to be broken so now I tend to just go with gut instinct and if I think there's a problem I would just keep going back until I had answers, i'm sure the physio is doing her best but at the end of the day she's not a doctor so I think I'd get a second opinion, FX she gets better soon xx
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:11 am 
Post subject:
Hope everythings ok wiv ur los leg nw.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Children's Health All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular