Any one else have a underweight toddler or know of one??

AngelDelight
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:55 pm 
Post subject: Any one else have a underweight toddler or know of one??
Hello all,

I have mentioned about this before, but I could do with some support or advice as I am so worried and can't relax at being a mum. My son is so underweight, he is 15 months and 16 lbs and puts on maybe a few ounces a month. He is average for height. I just feel like I am the only one with a small child??!!!Confused He eats a very balanced diet, sometimes eats better than his bigger mates. He has been under the care of the pediatrician and now awaiting chromosone results and dna tests as they can't find any answers with other test they have done.

Just feel like I am not getting anywhere with the medical profession, and that I am getting no support. Sad

simmysim
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:41 am 
Post subject:
hey, my Lo Kieran is small,but the opposite to your lo, his weight is ok, but he is really short! lol
Kieran is 17 months and weighs exactly 20lb, but he is only 69cm!!
he is also under paediatrician and has had quite a few tests alreadyi dont really notice how small he is until i see him with others his age, then i get comments like oooh isnt he walking early - well no, he's 17 months old - oh is he really? i thought he was only 9-10 months...
i know its not to be nasty, but does still get to me sometimes Sad

i know its not exactly the same thing, but i do know kinda how you feel.

when are they gonna be doing tests? has he had any at all yet? xxx
AngelDelight
Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:12 pm 
Post subject:
Hi

Think we just spoke in chat. Thanks for your response. Well I must be the only mum who has a child who is underweight and struggles to put weight on! Does not give me much encouragement will just have to deal with this all on my own, just be nice to hear of any others out there.... Sad Confused

simmysim
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:18 pm 
Post subject:
we did just speak in chat Smile
sorry there's no other response xXx
jane1978
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:18 pm 
Post subject:
My LO is the opposite and doesn't seem to eat much but piles weight on! not much help but shows children have different metabolism like adults. Do you give him plenty of high cal and fat foods like cheese ? might be worth giving him more stuff like that and less of other things. Have you been refered to a nutritionist?
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:49 am 
Post subject:
Hope everythings ok. Hav they gt all results bk frm tests?

Florist
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 am 
Post subject: I have been working with 6 mouth old
My neice weighed 9lbs at 6 months and was not gaining weight. The doctor wanted to put her on a feeding tube. After researching online I found a pathologist Susan Morris who worked with children and found help. Her daughter gained 7 ozs the first week and continued to gain.

She is taking:
Glyconutrients -1/4 Tsp Ambrotose - 4 times a day
Phytomatrics - Crush Glycobears - divide into 1/4 - 4 times a day
Probiotics - 1/4 pkg probiotic stick - 4 times a day
GI Zime - Enzymes - 1/4 - 4 time a day
Organic Rice Brand - 1/2 Tsp - 4 times a day

Adding - Organic Baby Formula as she is now eating a little more each day.
jemmaa
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:33 am 
Post subject:
I was an underweight child and turned out perfectly healthy. I was always in the 5th percentile for weight and the 90th for height. When I went to kindergarten, I weighed 30 or 35 lbs (I'll have to check my baby book for that). I was 63 lbs. by the time I was 11 and by 9th grade, I finally started getting more "normal" (once puberty hit). I went from 91 lbs in 8th grade to 116 in 9th grade, and it was all because I finally got taller and filled out some.

I didn't mean to go into all that detail! LOL. My mom said I was always healthy, always eating good; I was just smaller (genetics played a role--my grandparents took my mom to the doctor when she was little because they thought something was wrong with her because she was so skinny!).
thatonethere
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:38 am 
Post subject:
My LO is also the same, he is at the very bottom line of the 0.4th centile line, but he has other health issues too. He is 21 months and weighs 8.5kg, about 19lb

xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Children's Health All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular