new siblings

puss2
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:39 pm 
Post subject: new siblings
i have a 23 month old son, dylan and another son, jake, 6 weeks. dylan doesn`t go near jake. he seems timid and keeps his distance. any tips on how to encourage the bonding between them?
emkeljan
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:35 pm 
Post subject:
ive great advice for you, wen ur changin the new babys nappy or feedin him, get him involved and praise him really gud, tell him "oh ur such a great big brother" even if he's makin a mess or not doin things properly, tell him that it doesnt matter and hug him and make him feel that he needs to look out for his new brother.
millwallrose44
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:17 pm 
Post subject:
When my son was born there was just under 2 years difference between them, and my daughter was very jealous and didn't want to go near him. What I found worked best was to really encourage her to be involved. After a few days we gave her a small present from her brother to say hello. Then we got her to help with nappy changes, picking out clothes for him, tucking him in, all the while telling her what a lovely big sister she was and how much he appreciated it. It was not long until she wanted to do bits for him herself like getting him a toy and showing him her books/toys whatever. Hopefully it will not take too long for yours to adjust. Good luck with it.

Meg.

puss2
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:03 pm 
Post subject:
thanks for you advice both of you. jake is 5 months old now and dylan still doesn`t acknowledge jake at all. its like he`s not even there. i was getting worried about the bond at first, but recently, dylan has been diagnosed with autism, and as a result, has great difficulty in his social and communication development. this could be whats responsible but i`m not sure. he starts opportunity class (a playgroup for special needs children) and speech therapy soon, so hopefully that`ll help him overcome his problems and get him to somehow understand that he has a new brother.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular