won't take bottle from dad

jae12349
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:29 am 
Post subject: won't take bottle from dad
My 4 month old baby is taking a bottle from anyone but my husband. He tries to feed her and she just cries and cries. Any suggestions would be appreciated![/quote]
HannahM
AskBaby Team
AskBaby Team
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:44 am 
Post subject:
How frustrating for both you and your husband!

Does your husband spend much time one-on-one with your baby while not trying to feed - maybe the key is that they spend a little quality time together, bathing, reading or playing before he tries again.

Hope this helps.

Han x
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:52 am 
Post subject:
I heard that babies are sensitive to smells and silhouettes - does he wear strong aftershave or anything? Also if he's the only person she's met with a beard, or glasses, or an afro or something very distinctive, it may be freaking her out. Quality time would probably be the answer, but if that's not possible, try adjusting his impact by checking smell and silhouette.

Not tried that myself, so could be a complete old wives tale! could be worth a try though

Anna
Cajoline
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:45 am 
Post subject: Re: won't take bottle from dad
jae12349 wrote:
My 4 month old baby is taking a bottle from anyone but my husband. He tries to feed her and she just cries and cries. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
[/quote]

Hi there - huge sympathies. Our 4.5 month old won't take a bottle from Dad either, and it's really traumatic for him (and her) as she just wails! We haven't got family close by, so no-one else has tried giving her a bottle, but she seems only to want to take it from me. Have you found anything helpful since you posted your msg? We've tried making sure hubby gives her her bath and plays with her a bit before bottle time, but it seems to make no difference. She can be all smiles and joy with him right up to the point when the bottle is produced and then she's inconsolable. We're being strict and not giving in, but it just means she goes to bed hungry and we have to wake her to feed her at 10.30. Incidentally, she'll usually take it from him then, as she's SO hungry and too sleepy to really notice who's on the other end of the bottle. But it's not a pattern we're happy to keep up, so any suggestions (preferably tried & tested solutions) welcome !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular