Palpitations after pregnancy

JaneyK
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:25 am 
Post subject: Palpitations, chestpains, dizziness, lethargy? - answers
Can I ask, is anyone feeling any better yet? or got to the bottom of what is going on?
I read all the posts last night and breathed a huge sigh of relief that I am no longer alone on this roller coaster of symptoms and anxiety.

I am 12 weeks post natal from a c-section and started feeling unwell within a week or so of getting home. Symptoms started with palpitations, then chest pains, now dizzyness, feeling jittery, washed out and lethargic. I too have suffered a couple of fainting episodes, this feeling of near 'death' when my whole body is engulfed by this wave - leaving me feeling totally washed out and as if I have got the flu. I can totaly sympathise with the not wanting to be left alone or go to sleep.

I seem to be on the same referall route as you all, bloods, ecgs, echo tomorrow and then a 24hr tape in a couple of weeks.

If anyone has made any breakthroughs or is feeling any better, could they please let me know?? Thanks so much
saffy1984
Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:54 pm 
Post subject:
hey,

i have been having similiar smptoms since the birth - dizzness/uneasiness, awareness of heartbeat but I have a slow heart beat.

i had a 24 hr ecg and it came back normal, it just showed that I have ectopic heartbeats which are normal. Doctor thinks its down to anxiety as I had a few health issues at birth bit im unsure...still not myself. Im reall worried that theres smething wrong with m heart but the just havent found it yet.

let me know how u get on x

toxicmummy
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:32 pm 
Post subject:
Hi ladies, I started getting similar symptoms 10 wks into my pgy. Turned out that I have hyPERthyroidism/overactive thyroid, so just thought to check that the bloods have been tested for that too. The Drs were a bit reluctant to diagnose it at first as the bloods said I had it but the symptoms were not what they'd typically expect. It's also more common for women's thyroid to go underactive, so they might not be looking for overactive.
Even if it's not that, can they not give you beta-blockers to reduce the palpatations?.....surely it can't be good to be having that many Shocked
Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:32 pm 
Post subject:
hi ladies! this might ease your minds a little! i suffer with gad genralized anxiety disorder. i had one episode when i met my partner and then it went away i had palps dizzyness sweatyness, paranoia, loss of concentration, couldnt sleep, appetite loss, depression.... to name a few! any way i got over this with cbt therapy! any way 6 months ago i had a c section my heartrate was high for 3 days Sad they pumped me with fluids and anti b;s it eventually came down i thnk it was up due to a infection as i had a temp aswell, i went home and all was well... anyway 2 months after brining baby home no sleep and the new way of life, i started checking my pulse ... why i dont know... anyway it went from a healthy 62 - 72 to a 84 - 90 i was like Shocked any way this went in a long cycle and i began to check it everytime i did something it would race and i would get palps, i was convinced i was dieing. i had a ecg done everything normal except high heart rate due to being anxious. i was pescribed a beta blocker 30 mg so pretty low took it every day and i started calming down a bit so did my heart rate! i got more sleep which made me feel even more better, and now im not 100% but getting there Smile ive had 3 ecgs and one 24 hour tape in the last 3 months!!! haha they all turned out fine... so some advice for you ladies

get your thyroid checked and your blood pressure keep hydrated and get some sleep and exercise
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:37 pm 
Post subject:
and just some more advice, your heart is a the strongest muscle in your body and wlill not stop beating, an average hr is 60 - 100 bpm resting. a heart can beat at 200 bpm for a long time without problems. if any of you feel "flutter" like feelings its not actually your heart what causes these its something called your vagus nerve which runs all way down your body which can be irratated by something like gas which can cause flutters but are harmless. Skipped beats are also harmless everyone has them but you become more sensitzed when waiting for them to happen.
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:06 pm 
Post subject: Palpitations, chestpains, dizziness, lethargy? - answers
Thanks to those that replied to my post. Had the heart 'echo' done, heart functioning normally and awaiting the 24hour tape results - although I felt nothing significant whilst I was wearing it - typical. Having read all the previous posts I am considering stress as a possible trigger and whilst I await the next appointment with the cardiologist am having a real think about excercise, relaxation etc. Will keep you posted.
toxicmummy
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:13 pm 
Post subject:
Janey K - Best of luck with it all - hope you soon start feeling better x
Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:49 am 
Post subject:
Oh my gosh, I am so late on this conversation but I am sooooo sooooo happy to find that I am not alone and that I am not crazy or dying :\ Here's MY HORRRROR STORY!!! I recently had my daughter 4 months ago and had heart palpitations randomly, lots-few, hard-weak!! I mean insane! They started when I was 71/2 months pregnant and I felt a huge flutter in my heart that lasted for about 30 seconds(which felt like minutes)! I called my doctor immediately and told me that he didnt think it was pregnancy related so I ignored it and automatically thought it was pregnancy related(in-denial). Sad After I had my daughter 4 weeks later I started noticing heart palpitations that Ive never ever experienced in my life.... They were going off about over 200 a day!! OUT OF NO WHERE! I immediately called the ER and they advised me to watch out for particular symptoms which I had none, so after 3 days of having a total of probably 1,000 heart palpitations I thought I was dying and thought I probably had heart failure due to the rare postpartum heart condition since I never seemed to find any one else with this problem. The ER took my blood work and said I was having some early heart beats than others which didnt seem to alarm them and just told me they are more common than people think, so then my blood work came back and it turned out I had to call my OB-GYN because my hormone level was too high for already being 4 weeks postpartum... I thought though, silly doc I just had my baby thats why my hormone levels are coming down... I went to my obgyn and he then found STILL a piece of the placenta inside of me(WHICH BY THE WAY IS WHAT CREATES THE ACTUAL HORMONES ON TOP OF RECOVERING FORM MY PREGNANCY HORMONES) I had to have a surgery went down and all to remove the piece of placenta!!! So that was causing my palpitations to go way crazy! However, 1 month ago(baby is now 4 months) I started gettin them again Crying or Very sad which I am so sad for all of you going through the same thing but probably the only thing from keeping me calm! I saw a cardiologist and it turned out that I do have an irregular heart beat(still within the normal range) but ok to handle palpitations still. I'm suppose to go back to get heart monitor vest thing? just to make sure it's not any valves or v-fib syndrome which they would have obviously caught by now!!!! But thats my horror story.... on top of postpartum hormones on top of it I had placenta in me giving me even more hormones!!! I'm surprised my heart handled it, it was sooooo crazy and I got the worst anxiety and stress over it, couldn't sleep, could not function. I can't wait til this is over and hopefully it will go away by the time my daughter is 1 year! I hope you ALL are doing much better and for the ones going through the same thing. Scary and no fun!!!!

My little princess was all worth it Smile
dawsonsmommy007
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:30 am 
Post subject:
Hello fellow mothers with the suffering of a palitation filled life as well! I am a 19 yr. Old mom to a beautiful 1 yr. Old baby boy! Who has brought my life happiness and exhaustion! (: but I started having palpitationa back in may, and have away had a get away from them yet! I've been to the dr. Several times including mothers day, they camt seem to tell me the cause of the problem, I'm beginning to think, they think I'm crazy and that its all in my head, because all the tests continue cominf back normal, but how can it be mormal, when it feels so miserable! I mean how is it a normal thing when its something that continues everyday keeping.you from living life normally, I'm sorry I believe in my heart that anything that is going to make you feel that miserable and scared of being able to do things on a daily basis, is by no means normal! Is there an answer out there for this dreadful disease that has taken over life??? If so please let me know (:
beverly16
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:54 am 
Post subject:
im responding so fast casue i have my email connected to this....PLEASE... go get your THYROID checked!!!!! after my last post... i made one post and never gave an update on what was wrong with me.... after all my tests.... i had an AMAZING cardiologist who recommended me to an "endocrine" doctor who specializes in THYROID!!! i checked my thyroid with blood draws several tiems and it always came back negative... my cardio. got tired of me going in for constant palpitations and so requested i have an actual ultrasound on my neck where your thyroid is located!!!!! once they did that and got the results i was soooooooo EXTREMELY happy that they FINALLY found something wrong with me as crazy is it may sound i was happy there was something wrong with me anf that i wasnt crazy and finally was a diagnose to my problem!! turns out majority of women after having a baby get thyroidism because of your unbalance of hormones which causes thyroidism!!! there are 2 types!!!! 1 which is hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism!! HYPERthyroidism is typically casue to palpitations which is what i have and believe it or not it is an easy fix....however if you let it linger long enough it can casue heart problems with YEARS of being left untreated....dont stress out and plesae go get checked and also keep in mind if your palpitations havent harmed you yet, ckearky you have a strong enough heart to handle them and if your cardiologist isnt worried, dont stress out!!! something would have happened by now if it was lifethreatning!!!! at least thats what i learned....please keep me posted as well when you get checked:) and good luck youre gonig to be fine!!!
youcanhumpmyleg
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:24 am 
Post subject:
beverly ... did your palps tune in with your cycle? mine get worse during ovulation then STOP when i have a period.... ive always said it was hormones but they ruled it out : /
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:44 pm 
Post subject:
Yes!!!!!!! But even though they ruled out hormones, when you're on your period it's hard to test for thyroid and hormones because with menstrul cycles your hormones are out of whack kind of like when women are menopausal!!! Hormones might be normal but before your period DOES get out of whack!!!! My endocrine and cardiologist both said it is normal to get palps before or during menstrul cycle!! Don't worry about it you'll be fine... Unless you experience sharp pain not being able to breath or intense sharpness you have nothing to worry about!!!!!!Smile
youcanhumpmyleg
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:41 pm 
Post subject:
thanks beverly, ive had them for two weeks out of every month for 2 years now ive accepted them now there just an annoyance ! but its weird i can pinpoint exactly when there gonna start and when there gonna finish lol i love having my period lmao haha i get a break from them Very Happy
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:22 pm 
Post subject:
Lol you're welcome!! Haha you poor thing Sad( our body's are so weird!!! After having my second she gave me so much complications including palps!!!!!!!! Ughhhh mine are random though, but they do get worse right before my period!!! I've accepted them too!!!! I couldn't sleep for weeks when I first got them and was so scared thought I was dying lol!!!! We did some many tests on my heart and it is fine but on a big ultra sound I saw my heart doing it.... Was pretty cool but soooo nerve racking!!!!! Have they done an ultra sound on your thyroid by any chance.... Cause they checked my blood work twice and that both came back "your thyroid levels are fine" my cardio called bs on that so sent me to an endocrine who did ultrasound and all kinds of things were wrong woth my hormone levels causing my palps and mood swings and hotness and a loooot!!! So I do recommend that though:)

Last edited by beverly16 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
saffy1984
Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:14 pm 
Post subject:
hi beverley,

when you are saying they found the cause for all your symptoms, hotness ect could you explain what all your symptoms were?
i too have had a blood test for thyroid but doctor just said it was normal but im not convinced.

Thanks!

xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Postnatal Health All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular