Trying "cry it out" method!

mindy1993
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:31 pm 
Post subject: Trying "cry it out" method!
hi every one my 11 month old baby is still in our bed and waking up all hours of the night
We have tried the cry it out method before but couldn't bring myself to carry it on.
It has now finally got to the point were she HAS to go in her own cot (travel cot)
as she is a very clingy and demanding baby through out the day and haven't got the energy
to carry on.
i would be grateful if any one has any tip or suggestion thanks.
sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:39 am 
Post subject:
Hi. Has she always slept in your bed? If so, not sure what the approach should be. Where does she sleep during the day? I think its best to start now how you would like it for the future. So all daytime and nighttime sleeps in her own bed in her own room.
Try controlled crying. Do not put her to bed asleep already, she must just be nice and drowsy - as she needs to learn to put herself to sleep. Give her her teddy, music, whatever you think she needs. Then walk out the room. No eye contact and no talking. (I only go shhhh)
Let her cry for 2min then go back in, either just pat her back or pick her up for a quick cuddle and put her back down again. No eye contact, no talking, no laughing. Then do it all over again. She needs to have the confirmation that you are still there. You can also do 5min, your choice, whatever you feel is best for your baby. You are the only one that knows her best. I always did 2min with my DS because I hated controlled crying, luckily it worked very quickly with him. Keep in mind once it works and she sleeps well etc.. it can all go pear shaped as soon as she is ill, has a vaccination etc... You just start again. Usually they know what its about, so next time round it works must faster - at least it did in my case.
Good luck.

CJMommy
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:50 pm 
Post subject:
@ Sweetpea24 thank you for sharing. I am going through a similar situation but with a 13 month old. Did you put DS to bed with a bottle or no bottle? Also, do you make sure he sees you walk out? My son stands up and screams holding on to his bed rail. The biggest mistake I make is I put him down once he falls asleep in my arms and he will always end up waking up 3-4 hours after he is put down and needs another bottle (But I think only for "Comfort)) because he has dinner well before bedtime. He is usually down by 8pm but up at 12am - 1am and again at around 3am and again about 5:30am.
sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:59 pm 
Post subject:
Ouch! That is alot of waking up... Sad I never put him to bed with his bottle. Was always and still is, bath, pj's, bottle with me holding him sitting on chair in his room, then cuddle and into his bed. He would see me walk out. When CJ was about 18 months old he was doing what your LO is doing now. Screaming blue murder and holding onto his cot rails when I left the room. No idea why he suddenly started doing that. Could only get him to go to sleep by holding him until he fell into deep sleep. This also occurred each time he woke in night. Did this for 3 weeks then couldn't take it anymore. So one night I put him to bed and just sat down on floor next to his bed. He cried and stood for 1min, then lay down. I stayed until he fell asleep. He would wake once or twice in night and I would just sit next to his bed, not talking, nothing. I eventually also got tired of this (babies are so exhausting! Smile ) and gradually started leaving the room before he was properly asleep. Now I just put him down and off he goes to sleep. If he wakes in night, I just go in and tell him to lie back down. He does this and I walk out. Bliss... Smile
We are now 'training' our DD to stop having the dummy. She has been waking every 20-30min the past 2 weeks ALL night long wanting it put back in her mouth.... I'm really dead on my feet... Tonight is night (and day) 2 of no dummy and she went down tonight after 5min of very little crying and no dummy. At creche today she also had no dummy. Yay!!
Dummies are a life saver at times, but I hate them. As soon as she is off hers totally I will start on DS - he still gets his at bed at night. Then no more dummies in this house! Smile
xxx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular