How to start potty training?

aimeelou1
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:28 am 
Post subject: How to start potty training?
Hello everyone, my daughter is 22mths old and would like to start potty training her although she knows what her potty is for she hasn't quite mastered the patience to sit on it and do her business. She will sit on for quite a while then sometimes pee once she is no longer sitting on it any advice would be appreciated. [color=indigo][/color]
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:35 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, she is still quite young, so if I were you, I would probably just carry on as you are, familiarising her with the potty. Take her to the toilet with you, so she gets used to seeing what to do! Just keep talking to her about it, have the potty in the room and praise any efforts she makes to use it. If she is not interested or starts to become frustrated with the process dont push it, just put the potty away for a few weeks, then try again another time. The warmer weather is always better as they can wear less clothes and its easier to get things dry when they do get wet! Good luck!
aimeelou1
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:05 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you its just makes you wonder when you have people around you comparing how long it took their kids to do this and that it gets you questioning yourself lol x
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:22 pm 
Post subject:
I know, its crazy, just ignore them its not a competition. If you wait til the right time, it should be quicker, easier, less messy and far less stressful!

I would say wait til she is over 2, maybe july/aug time, then pick a week you have no plans and spend a week with her in just a pair of pants (I personally dont agree with pull ups as I think they just confuse the issue) and a t shirt and go for it! Have the potty around, keep really positive, keep reminding her to go and lots of fuss/praise/ sticker chart/clapping whenever a wee gets in the potty. She will probably be dry in the day within that week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Nappies, Changing and Potty Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular