Breastfeeding while ttc

Kimmy0908
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:32 pm 
Post subject: Breastfeeding while ttc
Hey Ladies, was wondering if anyone had any experience of ttc whilst bfing? I know most women actually don't get their period back whilst exclusively bfing, but I got mine back at 4 weeks post birth, despite bfing (& being lucky enough not to have any problems with it). The thing is, I am not as regular since giving birth, and my cycle has been varing from 26 -37 days. While ttc last time I had a 28 day cycle, was regular and ovulating, and it still took me over 2 yrs to fall pregnant with my son.
Because of my long ttc journey before, we decided we would start ttc this summer, when my son would be a year old - so the plan was (and kind of still is) to have stopped bfing before ttc - but at over 7 months old, Lucas is showing no interest in drinking from anything but me, and at this rate we'll never have him weaned!! Rolling Eyes
I know the HV and docs have told me that bfimg whioe ttc & even pg is safe - but I'm worried that I'm just setting myself up to have an even harder time ttc than I did last time. Maybe I should wait until Lucas has stopped bfing before ttc again? Advice please Ladies!

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:24 am 
Post subject:
I never actually started TTC again while breast feeding, but i have just seen a post from a lady this morning who is pregnant again and her tickers say she's still breastfeeding Smile , so it obviously can happen Laughing , I believe it's more likely though the less feeds you still do, although if you're ovulating then it should be possible Smile . Have you thought about trying OPK's to see if you are ov'ing , maybe combining that with temping just to be sure Question
One thing though, if you do get pregnant would you still breastfeed or want to stop, because if you would want to stop (and I know in some countries women breatfeed throughout their subsequent pregnancies with no problems ) then it might be easier to do it gradually now Question ,
maybe try with expressed milk first in a cup rather than a bottle (if you haven't already) as my last child wouldn't switch from breast to a bottle but he would drink from a cup , he was eating by then though so maybe that helped Confused
If you're happy to carry on as you are though while ttc I'd say go for it, i did read on another forum of a woman who suspected she was pregnant again as her first child suddenly started to refuse the breast Shocked apparently it can later the taste of your milk Question so it might even work in your favour and encourage him to try other things Smile
Maybe trying without trying would be a good compromise (IYKWIM) and then if it happens it happens if not then by the summer he will almost certainly be weaned and you can really try then Question xxx
Kimmy0908
Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:24 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks Nat.... we are trying to get him drink out of a cup at the mo but it's from the taps or nothing Rolling Eyes but I'm probably worrying over nothing - I mean, he'll get it eventually - he's just such a booby baby!! Laughing
I have been temping but it's been a bit all over the place, & I know it sounds mental but I didn't want to start using OPKs yet because we're not trying again yet anyway & I was worried about finding out I wasn't ov'ing. I think I'm just stressing because I remember how hard it was last time, but you're right of course, he will probably be well and truly weaned by the time we're good to go and I should just calm down!! Laughing "trying without trying" sounds like a great idea because it takes the pressure off and if nothing happens, we'll stick to our plan.... I just need to stop being so stupid, and go with the flow.
I'm just seeing the worst in everything, as usual!! Rolling Eyes

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:46 am 
Post subject:
Relaxing is much easier said than done though when it comes to TTC and it's only natural that if it took a while last time you'll worry it will again, my SIL though took over 3 yrs to conceive her first and then got pregnant by accident when her LO was 6 months old , so it doesn't always take as long second time round Smile
Are you trying the baby led weaning, or spoon feeding ? Some ladies on here swear by just letting them get their hands in the food for being a good way to get babies to eat , i suppose with how much they put their hands in their mouths at that age they're bound to eat something even without trying Laughing
I can see why you'd give the OPK's a miss, I stopped using them in November after 16 months and actually feel better for it now, it's funny how much the strength of one little line can change your mood for the day Rolling Eyes Laughing It's not guaranteed but if you're having periods it's likely you are ov'ing , FX it happens while you're not really trying though , good luck xxx
Kimmy0908
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:23 am 
Post subject:
Thanks Nat Smile we're doing BLW, and he's pretty good, even if he doesn't actually eat something he'll always have a good suck on it, and HV says it's surprising just how much they can get from just sucking on the food. I've just bought him a doidy cup to see if I can get him drinking from a rim if not a spout and if I can't I'm going to try not to worry and just let him get it in his own time, and try not to stress about ttc before we even are!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Waiting to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular