my 21month old son wakes at least 4 times a night

joseyd
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:52 pm 
Post subject: my 21month old son wakes at least 4 times a night
my 21 month old son wakes at least 4 times a night. bedtime is always at 8pm i usually give him a bath 1st then i put him into his cot with a bottle of milk i say goodnight and close the door. he always goes to sleep straight away with no fuss at all. around anytime from 12am to 5am he will wake at least 4 times, if my husband goes into him and tells him to go back to sleep he does so straight away but when i go in he crys his eyes out . around 5.30am i've started to give him his morning time milk just so he will go back to sleep for another hour just so i can get some sleep before i go to work. i know this is wrong can anyone advise on what i can do as im totally exhausted.
RWneedssleep
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:43 pm 
Post subject:
Hi - I have read a lot about night feeding so cannot say I am talking from experience but hope this helps - it is better than no response at all!

how does your little one eat during the day? It could be that he is eating poorly during the day because he is drinking so much milk at night.

You could try diluting his bottle with water, at first make it a quarter water, then after a day or two half water then three quaters until it is all water - he will then decide for himself that he can't be bothered to wake up for water.

I do know someone that this has worked for.

Good luck and let me know if it works!
joseyd
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:16 am 
Post subject: 21 month old who wakes at least 4 times at night
thanks for your advice on putting 1/4 water into his milk at night. he always eats plenty during the day so i dont think thats the problem. last night i gave him 1/4 water in his bottle when he was in his cot he fell asleep no problem but he didnt finish his milk which he normally does. he woke up 5 rimes last night so i finally gave in at 5.30am and gave him another bottle of watered down milk which he also didnt finish but still kept crying every 1/2 hour. do you think i should give him his bottle before i put him into his cot as maybe this is the problem that maybe he keeps wakening looking for his bottle as he is so used to getting one in his cot to put him to sleep.
honie
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:27 am 
Post subject:
please let me know if that works my son is 21 months and he cuddles his bottle all night he does sleep through as lnog as he is in bed with me!
but if he is in his cot then it aint gonna happen i know mine is spoilt which is my fault but it is hard to break out of it now he is in this routine
RWneedssleep
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:18 pm 
Post subject:
definately give it a try - the sooner you get him out of the habit of being in his cot with a bottle the better but it is going to take time and perserverance - it is good that you are not giving in before 5:30am as he will sleep longer and longer but again will take time - remember he is not waking or feeding because he is hungry, it is purely out of habit...carry on with watering the milk down every couple of days and he will soon get the message..you are undoing a habit that has been created over quite some time..keep going!
joseyd
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:02 pm 
Post subject: joseyd
hi there! last night i gave my little boy a bath and then i took him him to his cot and read him a storey , after that i lay him down in his cot without his bottle but he went mad and cried his eyes out so i thought it wasnt fare to take it of him all of a sudden so i just gave him a little less than i normally do of milk and watered it down again, he was asleep within 10 mins. i only had 2 go to his room at 12.10am as he was crying as he got his legs stuck in his cot. during the rest of the night i heard him crying on and of but they were only little winges, i didnt bother to go to his room as he wasnt screaming. i got up for work at 6.20am and by 7.30 i had to wake him to leave him to the childminders for 8am. i only gave him his morning bottle at this time 7.30am. so already this an improvement. i'll cross my fingers for tonight! do you think i should take the bottle of him altogether when he goes into his cot or do what im doing by gradully watering it down until he wont want it!
RWneedssleep
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:32 pm 
Post subject:
definately keep gradually watering it down as this seems to be working! He will then decide himself that he doesn't need the bottle in his cot and if he doesn't then in time maybe you can go cold turkey and take it off him but it would be better for you to do it gradually so as not to put up with any crying

Well done for leaving him as well - not easy - but is a step in the right direction towards a full night's sleep..

sorry to reply so late - busy day!

keep going!
RWneedssleep
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:55 am 
Post subject:
how is it going? any more progress? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular