Dinner is making her too full for bottle

sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:50 pm 
Post subject: Dinner is making her too full for bottle
Hi. DD schedule looks like this:
7:00 - 180ml bottle (180ml water, 6 scoops formula = 210ml)
9:00 - fruit
11:00 - 180ml bottle
15:00 - 180ml bottle
17:30 - dinner (veg, meat/fish, potato etc..)
19:00 - 180ml bottle
22:30 - 180ml bottle

DD has been eating dinner really well the past week, but I feel its making her too full for her 19:00 bottle before bed. She only drinks half now. Is this a problem? We will be stopping her last bottle soon - by this Sunday, so I'm worried that if she only drinks half her 19:00 bottle she won't make it through the night.

I cannot give her dinner any earlier as that is the soonest I can give it to her coming home from creche. On weekends I give her dinner at 17:00. I don't really want to give her the 19:00 bottle later as that is her bedtime and she can't really stay awake any longer.

Maybe I should try and put her to bed without the bottle and then give her a kind of dream feed at say 20:00? Or does it not really matter that she doesn't drink a full bottle at 19:00?

What do you think? I never had this problem with DS. Thanks. xxx

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:59 pm 
Post subject:
if she is having a good evening meal that should fill her up to sleep through, and really she doesnt need 2 bottles before bed. I would also drop one of the daytime bottles and give her lunch instead, and instead of fruit give a proper breakfast of porridge at 9, then fruit at 11 then lunch at 1, and bottle at 3?

Miriam84
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:41 pm 
Post subject:
I agree, I'd drop some of the bottles. Caelan only has 3 bottles a day, and eats breakfast, lunch and dinner. He doesn't even have a bottle after dinner, he just drinks water afterwards and goes to bed half an hour later. He doesn't wake up during the night since his dinner keeps him full throughout the night. Of course he is a hungry baby who loves his solids...
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:21 pm 
Post subject:
Hi sweetpea

It's difficult this weaning malarky isn't it. I had/have the same problem with Charlotte. Prior to having 3 meals a day she was having 6 bottles a day, between 120ml (4oz) and 150ml (5oz). She used to have them every 2.5 hours roughly. When I put her on 3 meals I was still worried about her getting enough milk, but over the last few weeks I've relaxed a little!!

She is now on 4 bottles and I have her on the following routine

7am. 7oz (usually drinks 5oz)
8am. Porridge with remaining milk
11am. Offer a bottle, drinks either 3 or 4oz
12.30. Lunch
2.30ish. Offer a bottle, drinks around 4oz
5pm. Tea
7pm. Offer a bottle, drinks between 2 to 4oz
10pm. Sometimes dreamfeed a few oz's if I feel she hasn't had enough, as she not drinking much water at the moment!! I try and make sure she has at least 18oz

Technically I could probably drop probably the 2.30 bottle so that she drinks more at 7pm, but I'm in the same boat as you, she always ready for bed around then but is still full after her tea so can't get her to drink much!!
If a fee
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:58 am 
Post subject:
Hi. Thanks for your replies ladies.

We live in Holland so she gets bread for lunch, but is still too young to eat it (or maybe old enough, but she isn't ready), so I can't do lunch just yet. Also cannot give different food to creche for her to eat. They've become very strict as of Jan this year. Not allowed to even give a yogurt for DS to have anymore..

Anycase, tomorrow I am going to start with giving her porridge (is it best to do bottle first and then porridge?) and by end of this week we will have dropped the 22:30 bottle.
I will see what this does for her and then play around with her 15:00 bottle and see what happens.

Thanks again. xxx

Jonie1976
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:33 am 
Post subject:
Hi sweetpea

Can you not give your lo fruit or veg for lunch? My lo not yet eating finger foods so I give her pureed/mashed veg for lunch followed by a yoghurt and for her tea she has mashed/pureed meat & veg, sometimes followed with a little fruit.

As regards to porridge, I would personally give her the morning bottle first and then give porridge an hour later. I would then give her the 11am bottle (you will probably find she won't finish it), give her fruit at 12.30ish, bottle at 3pm, dinner at 5ish, and then the last bottle at 7ish.
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:32 am 
Post subject:
Hi. I can, but not for the 3 days that she goes to creche.
Can't wait to try a new routine tomorrow and see if it works! Smile xxx

Jonie1976
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:00 pm 
Post subject:
Good luck xxx
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:22 pm 
Post subject:
As regards to breakfast, I've founnd with Alex, that if he has a bottle first he won't eat soldis, I have to leave at LEAST 1.5 hours from a bottle to get him to eat solids, but then he is a pain in the neck with solids and although likes ALL foods gets bored easy with easting lol.

I think you'll have to play around with which workds best.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Six Months to One Year All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular