Struggling to keep 1 year old in crib after waking up

Daddybubs
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:54 pm 
Post subject: Struggling to keep 1 year old in crib after waking up
Hello all, our 1 year old son has always had a hard time going to sleep on his own, he was colic as a newborn and ha always had a picky stomach. We have co slept with him every night probably up to a month ago, where we decided to try CIO as no other method was working for us. He sleeps well for naps he had 1 nap a day now at 10am, he wakes up at 7am, sometimes he can sleep 2.5 hrs for his naps but usually averages around 1 hr 45 mins. We start our bedtime routine at 7pm which is a bath, than a story than a bottle. We put him in the crib awake and tell him we love him and than we leave the room with the light off and close the door. He will typically cry for 5-10 mins and than he will fall asleep. This isn't the hard part, the hard part is when he wakes up after being asleep , most times he will awake after 3 or 5 hrs crying his eyes out. I swear he couldn't cry any harder, Is this where we should just let him cry for 10 mins than go comfort him and than leave again and just repeat the process. Im not sure why he can put himself to sleep the first time but never the second time. Any suggestions? Thanks all!

Ryan
jane1978
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:44 pm 
Post subject:
I would look at all the things that would be causing him to wake - could he be hungry or thirsty, is he wet, is he getting cold, do you disturb him going to bed ? If you can stop that then he might not wake. It could be bad dreams at this age which there is little to do expect to comfort him and the phases should pass. There is a technique of waking a child gently before they wake in the night and it changes the sleep pattern- this is something you could try also x
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:58 pm 
Post subject:
Well we give him a bottle of formula before he goes to bed so I can't see him being hungry, we have a little heater that we put on for him at night so he would be hot if anything , I guess it may be his diaper but not entirely sure... I will log some times and post them so everyone can take a look at them and tell me what ya think.

Ryan
Krismummy
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:21 pm 
Post subject:
I have an 11 month old and our situation is somewhat similiar to yours. Even though we have given him a bottle at 8 we still give him another one when he gets up at 1am. Then our fun starts when he wakes up at 4 maybe 5am and starts to really cry. This morning my husband encouraged me to leave him. He cried for just over an hour and went back to sleep for about 1 1/2 hours.

I wish I was lucky like you and naps were easy. I have had a hard few days with naps and want to try CC with naps but not sure what the guideline should be. He is usually tired around 12.30 after lunch but so far it's been so much harder doing CC during the day than night. Crying or Very sad

Will try and keep you posted. Hope you have luck !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular