Development question

Jonie1976
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:46 pm 
Post subject: Development question
Hi

My lo is 8.5 months (5 weeks premature). I took her to be weighed today. Whilst there my hv asked me some questions, see below and I answered accordingly....

Does Charlotte clap her hands....... No
Does she say mama/dada/baba......no
Does she play peekaboo.....,,,,,,,,,,,,no
Does she wave hi/bye....................no
Does she sit unaided......,,,,,,,,,,,yes
Can she pull herself up into sitting....no
Does she make any noises......,,,,,,,,yes
Is she rolling.............she has a couple of times

My question is, is it normal that she is not doing a lot of the things that my hv asked?!? And is there anything I should be doing to improve things?!? I'm constantly chattering away to her and play with her, but I have to admit, I dont sit there saying mama/dada over and over and over. Should I be?'? I feel like I haven't been doing a good enough job with her now Sad
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:07 am 
Post subject:
when i took sam for her check she couldnt clap her hands properly, palm to palm, she would clap one hand on the back of the other.

she would wave when she felt like it, but didnt do it regular until a lot later, she could sit unaided and had just started to get herself into sitting, but would have to get into a crawling position and twist herself into sitting, i think if she couldnt crawl she wouldnt have been able to do it.

she would make noises like mama, babba, dadda but not apply them to the person, first time she called me mamma she was nearly 10 months, but when i used to leave the room i was told she would cry mamma. but she could say cat and would chase my moms cat round shouting 'dat' Laughing

theres a little girl whos 15 months that goes to my childminders and she dint roll, or pull herself up for ages, she never crawled just bum shuffled (and shes fast!)

some of the stuff they ask, they wouldnt expect them to do until older anyway, its just so they can get an idea of development age.

pepperpot
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:08 am 
Post subject:
Hi, my boy was exactly the same at that age and he is fine, don't worry. I'm sure he didn't clap until he was about 1 And didn't know who mummy/daddy was until about 16 months at least. I hate health visitor questions they always make you feel rubbish. Don't worry x

Jonie1976
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:50 am 
Post subject:
Thanks for the replies ladies, that's made me feel much better x
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:51 pm 
Post subject:
Hmmm, Kerry is almost 8 months and she can only roll (learnt that 2 weeks ago) and make lots of noises... No to everything else.. We have our check up next week.. xxx

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:42 pm 
Post subject:
So these were the answers at Alex's 8 month check:-

Does Alex clap her hands....... No (and he still can't at almost 10 months)

Does Alex say mama/dada/baba......Says dada, but at everyone not just dad (and I didn't teach him, he just suddenly started saying it

Does Alex play peekaboo.....,,,,,,,,,,,,yes
Does Alex wave hi/bye....................no (and he still can't at almost 10 months)
Does Alex sit unaided......,,,,,,,,,,,yes
Can Alex pull himself up into sitting....no (and he still can't at almost 10 months)
Does Alex make any noises......,,,,,,,,yes
Is Alex rolling.............yes

Every baby is different tho. I have found with Alex that one week he seems to learn loads of things and then for a few weeks he just improves on those things he's already learnt and some weeks well nothing changes.

jane1978
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:49 pm 
Post subject:
My LO had 9 month check at 9 1/2 months and she could do most of those things but she had only learnt them very recently so at 8 1/2 month it would have been mostly no and as your LO was slightly prem its normal for them to be a few weeks behind. It would have been much more useful for the tests to be done at 9 months adjusted age so maybe 10- 10 1/2 months when most answers will probably be yes !
Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:57 pm 
Post subject:
Jonie dont worry, my little one can only sit unaided, makes some noises and roll over onto his front! To say she was premature and is doing what most babies do at the same age she is probably ahead for her age (if u know what i mean).
Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:01 am 
Post subject:
Thanks ladies. Well I put her on tummy now, she screams for a minute or so and then rolls onto back, so we have made a little progress Wink x

Jump to:  

Community

Popular