Advice needed

fairy85
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:52 am 
Post subject: Advice needed
Hi ladies, really need some advice as HV and GP are hopeless, my baby girl is 6weeks old and when first born she was a contented, happy wee soul, however around 3weeks that all changed. She cries 70% of the day, sometimes in the evening she cries that much she loses her voice. Thought it was colic so tried infacol but she won't take a bottle afterwards so trying gripe water now. The car doesn't settle her, nor does a swing or bouncer. She's so tired as she sleeps for 20mins, twice a day if I'm lucky. Tried a bath at night, this worked for a few nights but not anymore. She weighs 10lb 10 and should be taking 25oz a day, but she's only taking 20 at the most. HV says she's developing fine and putting on weight so they don't see a problem. GP says she's doing fine and apart from having really watery stools, usually once a day she's healthy.
It can't be normal for a baby to cry this much, it's a real ear piercing cry like something is wrong. Tried swaddling and all the methods they suggest for calming a crying baby but nothing works. I am lucky that when she does go to sleep at night, usually midnight, she wakes up a 4am for a feed then falls asleep until 7-8am and she doesnt cry during the night.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm starting to feel helpless,
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:35 am 
Post subject:
Unusual stools, crying a lot and not settling , especially and eir piercing crying which can suggest pain, in a bottle fed baby suggests some sort of food intolerence to me Question I'm no expert but my nephew had an intolerence to cows milk and was very much like this only he would vomit a lot as well as having the runs ,he also gained weight(which also meant the doc took longer to realise what the problem was as often babies wont gain but he was a big baby at birth too 9lb 10oz so maybe that makes a difference Question ) but was obviously just not right in himself and very miserable, once he was on the soy milk he was much better, but they say now not to try soy milk without doctors approval Question ,
I would go back to the doc, watery stools aren't normal in a bottle fed baby, they tend to be much firmer, and he should have at least checked that out to make sure there wasn't a problem as an intestinal upset can also trigger temporary food intolerences . I'm a big believer in mothers gut instincts and if you feel that there's something wrong, i would keep going back until they find out what the problem is , don't let them brush you off as an over reacting mum ,you know your baby better than anyone xxx
WeeGem
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:28 am 
Post subject:
I would suggest trying a different milk, like nat said, she could have an intolerance to cow's milk.

As for trying to comfort her...in my own experience, not all babies like to be bounced or rocked to sleep...my own daughter would never sleep in the car or pram...the motion just kept her awake...and rocking & bouncing her didn't work, holding her still while swaddled is what did it for her lol I would just gently pat her bum and she would nod off in no time Very Happy

fairy85
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:45 pm 
Post subject:
I want to thank you both for your reply, I spoke to my health visitor and doctor again but no help from either. The gripe water didn't help either. I had ready made cartons so tried that and my little girl is like a different person, she's drinking what she should be for her weight, she more alert and overall just happier. I checked the ingredients between the powder and the ready made formula and the powder is made with whey, whereas the ready made formula is water.
Main difference is no more ear piercing screaming Very Happy
If I'm honest however I feel like my gp and health visitor has let myself and my daughter down, there suppose to be professionals yet they did nothing to help us.
The one thing I've learnt is a mothers instincts are always right
Big thank you to you both again x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular