Birth Control after Babys Birth

CurlyGurl
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:12 pm 
Post subject: Birth Control after Babys Birth
Hi There.
I am a 21 year old soon to be new/first time mum.
I fell pregnant while on the contraceptive pill and my partner and I were using condoms as well as me being on the pill.

I plan on breast feeding if all goes well.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the type of contraceptives to use after baby is born while breast feeding? and if not breast feeding as well?

I do not trust using condoms alone, or using the pill alone as from the above you can see I feel pregnant while we were using both at the same time.

Any advice would be welcome!
Thanks! Smile
CurlyGurl
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:17 pm 
Post subject:
P.S I forgot to mention that due to me having a history of depression, I may end up taking anti-depressant medication. So any advice on contraceptives that will not disturb anti-depressant medication would be good also.

Thanks again!
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:35 pm 
Post subject:
if you are b/f you have to be careful what you are taking as some hormones can pass into the breast milk.

you can take the mini pill but it has to be taken at the same time every day to be effective.

a lot of doctors are pushing the implant now as it is virtually fail safe as its not affected by antibiotics, and stomach upsets, and it lasts 3 years but im not sure if you can have it whilst b/f.

another option would be the injection, which you have every three months, again not sure if its suitable for b/f.

the other option would be the coil, of which there are 2 types, the more common mirena coil, which has hormones in so may not be suitable for b/f and the traditional copper coil which has no hormones, so should be ok for b/f.

your doctor will discuss your options at your 6 week postnatal check up anyway, but its worth researching the different options beforehand, so you have an idea of what you want. i found my doctor very pushy towards the implant, and she did not seem impressed that i wanted the pill.

avfcgal
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:47 pm 
Post subject:
i am not on any contraception, i am breastfeeding on demand, but my h.v told me the implant is safe to use when breastfeeding, what ever you do do not just use breastfeeding as a form on contraception

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular