should i be worried?

jenneve
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:28 am 
Post subject: should i be worried?
my son has his 6 week check tomorrow and so will be getting weighed, i am anxious to see how much weight he has put on as he doesnt really seem to feed well.

i am breastfeeding and i went to a support group and the midwife was supprised to hear that he only feeds for 6-8 mins and every 2 hours (except at night) she said that at his age he should be going longer in between feeds at least 3 1/2 hours. so now im thinking he doesnt have enough milk at each feed and that my milk supply isnt enough.
hes very on and off the breast during the feed and im constantly having to latch him back on, he never really has his mouth open wide like in the pictures ive seen.

if hes gaining weight though should i still be worried? or just accept hes a little and often baby?

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:12 am 
Post subject:
They're all different whether breast or bottle fed and some babies have to be woken for feeds other would feed constantly , a lot of breastfed babies only feed for 5 minutes or so at a time , my last did and he doubled his birth weight by 3 months and tripled it by six Shocked
If he's fussing on the breast though maybe he's not very hungry and could just be getting mostly fore milk which is more a drink than a meal and that could explain why he only goes 2 hrs each time Question (it has less fat in it )
maybe try not feeding him straight away a few times and trying the distraction of a bath or a walk in the pram to see if that settles him as well, then if he does go longer and is more hungry that time and has a really good feed he might wait for longer until his next feed Question
If he's gaining weight I wouldn't worry but if you find you can stretch the times between feeds out a little over a few days then he might feed better and start to leave longer gaps himself Smile xx
libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:12 am 
Post subject:
Jamie fed every two hours day and night and only fed for about 5 mins after the first few weeks. He put on so much weight he shot off the top of the weight charts (he was 20lb by 4 months). Even if I managed to distract him to go longer (which was rare because he'd just scream the whole time) or he went longer himself he went back to every two hours. In the end I just accepted that was how he wanted to feed. If he fed for longer than that then he tended to bring much of it back up.

Hope it goes well

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:42 pm 
Post subject:
i only b/f til 4 weeks, but even then the only time she went 3 hours was if we were out and she slept in the pushchair, and she would feed for ages. one night she fed for 45 minutes, and was still wanting another feed less then 2 hours after i put her down.

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:33 pm 
Post subject:
Samuel STILL doesn't consistantly go for 3+hours between - sometimes he's every 2 hours, sometimes he's really cheeky and wants it more often than that! No-one can say a baby should go a certain amount of time... it's up to the baby and mum, everyone is different! I wouldn't worry about the time between or the length of feed, but perhaps get some support about the latch as 'on and off' sounds a little like perhaps his latch needs a bit of help... have you tried using nipple sheilds? They encourage a wider mouth and give baby more to latch onto... may help him latch better and then you may find he feeds for longer and goes longer between anyway...

xxx

avfcgal
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:36 pm 
Post subject:
i breastfeed my daughter on demand when she wants it and how long she wants it, all babies are different no two babies are a like

jenneve
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:34 am 
Post subject:
thanks ladies.

hes put on exactly 2lbs which has made me feel better. i guess it takes a while to be a super confident breastfeeder!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular