Advice for first time mum - milk and weening

Clairebear30
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:55 pm 
Post subject: Advice for first time mum - milk and weening
Hi girls hope you can help

Isabella is nearly 5 and half months. She is always wanting more milk but goes 3-4 hours on 4 x 210ml bottles a day.
She wakes around 8/9am - feed. Wants second around 12. Then 3-4, then last obe at 7, then bed

We started weening 3 weeks ago and shes on 2 meals which we give her b4 her milk - the 9am one and 12 feed at the moment - when food as well as milk we gave reduced milk to 180ml so an ounce. So at present shes having 2 feeds and at those feeds 180mls of milk, n 2 other milk only feeds of 210ml

My question is i read alot about people giving feeds between milk feeds - should i do this or is it fine to do as i am?
Also when n how much should i reduce milk? Issy is 98% for height and 91% for weight - she was 75% for both when born but since around 12 weeks jumped to the higher obes. I dont want to give her too much - but know she would drink n drink milk - she always has cried when she empties her bottles but we just distract her for few mins n she stops - think shes sucky or greedy Sad

Any advice would be great - thanks
Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:09 pm 
Post subject:
i was told to give milk first to start, then change to food first and increase the food so they have less milk. then to drop one milk feed and replace with water. for sam it was tea time as she was only having 2oz anyway so easy to drop, but lunch time was a night mare, so i ended up giving an 11am milk feed then lunch around 12-1.

kelchatters
Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:12 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya hun,

I am having a similar issue my little boy is 5 months old and currently having 2-3 meals a day plus having 4 bottles of 8.5 oz of hungry milk he has been really crying the last week (mostly due to teething) however spoke to HV today as to me he seems to be having loads, and I was worried he was getting a stomach ache.

She said to me to reduce his milk intake to 6oz and offer more food, did that today and he had a whole jar for lunch and dinner

Is your little one on hungry milk or stage 1?

I wouldn't worry too much about the centile graphs hun, it will all balance out when she gets active etc. She's a long baby by the sounds of it, like mine! He is also on the 98 for height.

It will be sooo much easier when the focus is more on the food, I have had a nightmare with this milk from the start Very Happy

xxxxx
Clairebear30
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:02 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks girls

I guess the aim will be for us to drop the lunch one then over time or the 7pm and just give abit at night time / god its tough

I tried the hungry milk kel but she was quite sicky on it abd it didnt make her less hungry Sad so went back to stage one aptimil

Yes shes super long! Her daddys 6 foor 5 so she was never going to b little Smile i guess over few months we drop to three milk feeds - but its hard as she screams when u take the bottle away bow - god knows what she will do when there is no milk lol - guess as food increases they wont need it n she can just have water. At monent 5 spoons isnt enough to take milk away

X
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:34 am 
Post subject:
Yes my one can be a little like that on hungry milk!! HV said to mauye try the comfor milk, however so close to him going onto follow on milk I prob won't bother!

Yes I think we will prob try and drop the lunchtime or early afteroon feed as these seem to be the ones he isn't too fussed with!

Good luck Very Happy I am sure once she starts getting the taste for all the different food, she will lose interest in her milk!!! xxxxxx
Clairebear30
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:53 am 
Post subject:
Thanks hun!
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:43 am 
Post subject:
I thought the idea of first weaning 5 - 6 months was for them to have tastes of thing as opposed to replacing milk feeds?

George is leading the way at the moment for me and is now on 3 meals a day plus 4 - 5 Breastfeeds.
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:53 pm 
Post subject:
Clairebell29 wrote:
I thought the idea of first weaning 5 - 6 months was for them to have tastes of thing as opposed to replacing milk feeds?

George is leading the way at the moment for me and is now on 3 meals a day plus 4 - 5 Breastfeeds.

i was told to start reducing from 6 months, with an aim to get to 2-3 bottles by 8-9 months.

Jonie1976
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:55 pm 
Post subject:
My lo still on 4 bottles & she almost 11 months! Laughing
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:13 pm 
Post subject:
steph181 wrote:
Clairebell29 wrote:

i was told to start reducing from 6 months, with an aim to get to 2-3 bottles by 8-9 months.

George has started to do this himself as was on 7 feeds a day and now only really wants 4 sometimes 5. Didn't really give him a lot of food till 6 months though mainly just tastes. Now six months have upped his food as was told that they do not need the nutrition from food till then.
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:55 pm 
Post subject:
Its tough isnt it - its a balance i guess

Ill ask hv next month when get her weighed xx
Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:27 am 
Post subject:
It is hard as it seems there are no set rule at all. I have the opposite thing and George will take food over milk but because I'm Breastfeeding feel anxious about the amount he's getting as he's dropped so quickly.
Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:44 am 
Post subject:
Cant believe how much you worry when pregnant - you forget all this is to come lol

Jump to:  

Community

Popular