Antibiotics

xMandyx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:20 am 
Post subject: Antibiotics
I've got an infection and the doctor has prescribed me metronidazole. Has anyone take this while breastfeeding? Everything I've read says you shouldn't and I'm worried about taking it now in case it harms William x

libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:34 pm 
Post subject:
Where have you read it? If its just on the leaflet then pretty much all say you can't have them when you're bf (even calpol which babies can have at 2 months) but there are some they will let you have. TBH he would get such a small amount that I'm sure it would do no harm

Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:41 pm 
Post subject:
Check with your pharmacist, they are the best to know, just had a quick look myself and everything I have read says that a 7 day course of 400mg twice a day, although the drug passes through it is thought to be of no harm, however they don't recomend the one off 2g dose unless really needed and recomend taking it after your last feed.

http://www.cks.nhs.uk/bacterial_vaginosis/prescribing_information/metronidazole/metronidazole_and_breastfeeding#

Hope you feel better soon xx

xMandyx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:54 pm 
Post subject:
thank you, ive been prescribed 3 x 200mg per day, yeah it says in leaflet not to take so I googled it (bad idea) which came up with some random stuff about being bad for babies. I've started taking them, so hopefully it'll clear soon xx

Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:08 pm 
Post subject:
I also had a quick google of use in neonates (under a month old) and it is given to babies that young for infections anyway, so I can imagine the tiny amounts in breat milk wouldn't do any harm.xx

EmmaSharonMiasMummy
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:46 pm 
Post subject:
Hi hun

I was on metronidazole after I had a D&C for retained placenta and I was breastfeeding my LO at the time I was on 200mg 3 times a day I think and I had all the same concerns with breastfeeding but I made sure when I was at the hospital and they said it was safe to take Smile but it just might make LO's poos a bit green and can give them a poorly tummy xx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular