Coming off the breast

AliJo
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:30 pm 
Post subject: Coming off the breast
My daughter used to breast feed really good untill she was 13wks. Now she keeps coming off the breast although I can tell she's hungery. Sometimes she just comes off without making much noise and I keep putting her back on. Other times she cries really loudly and won't feed at all. I try winding her but this doesn't really help. Her position on the breast is good and I aways check there's plenty of milk. Any advise for what I could do would be great?
Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:15 pm 
Post subject:
How long is she feeding for before coming off and how often is she feeding? Have you had her checked to make sure she hasn't got anything like thrush?
Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:44 am 
Post subject:
She sometimes comes off after a few mins and will only go back for a few mins at a ime. I usually can get her to last 3 hours between feeds ona morning but later in the day it can be 1-2hrs. The HV checked her mouth and it's all normal. [/list]
Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:07 pm 
Post subject:
If she's going 3 hours then she should be hungry. Have you had anyone check she is latching on ok? Do you think you have enough milk? Has she been having a bottle at all as I have heard some Babies get lazy and prefer bottles as easier to get the milk quicker.

Do you have any local Breastfeeding groups I find these really helpful when I have a problem as you can have a proper chat with people.

Also do you think the crying later in the day could be colic. George had bad colic and would cry from 7pm - 1am. He would often go on the breast for comfort but not really want it.
Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:52 pm 
Post subject:
How long has it been happening for? Could she be coming down with a cold. I know that when my eldest was a baby, she found it much harder to drink when she had a cold and would fuss on and off the breast and refuse at times. When this happened we used to really worry but she was fine, i just expressed milk and tried to feed it to her any way she would take it (she was not keen on the bottle, so often lying down, unrecommended but only way to get her to take)

Mandy xx
loulousmum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:32 pm 
Post subject:
My boy did this and turned out he had an ear infection so it was hurting to suck. He also tends to do it if he has a cold. Try to ride it, I am sure it will pass x

Jump to:  

Community

Popular