wont stay on potty

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:00 pm 
Post subject: wont stay on potty
So i haven't "officially" started potty training yet, but Craig seems a bit more ready than Liam so i have been talking about the potty to him, asking if he wants to sit on it and making a point of saying if hes done a poo or pee so he knows what they are called. The thing is, when i sometimes ask if he wants the potty he picks it up, takes it into his room (idont know why!) And he will happily sit on it for a few minutes if he still has his nappy on. But soon as the nappy comes off he'll sit on it for 5 seconds then stand up and say he wants his nappy on. Anyone had this problem and know how i can get over it?

Kenty
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:41 pm 
Post subject:
i'm afraid it's persistance

we were at this stage about 2weeks ago with lewis, we would ask if he wanted to go, he'd say yes and just sit on it for a minute max and then ask for a nappy,
we then got a bit naughty and offered a treat(sometimes a little biscuit or grapes) if he did a wee wee on potty...it kept his interest and if he jumped up he'd be reminded he'd get a treat when he's done a wee...first wee on the potty got SO SO much praise, we kept asking him daily, sometimes he said yes, sometimes no, but we've not pushed him

just tonight, for the first time he took his nappy off, asked for a potty, sat and did his wee(didnt ask for a treat for it) and then asked for his nappy to be left off...so it seems to be the gentle approach that works for him

sorry if i've rambled!

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:11 am 
Post subject:
Yeah i was gonna say bribery and blackmail Wink Laughing star charts with treats for so many stars , or instant treats if you've got a child that long term rewards don't work with , lots of praise at first just for sitting on it, taking them to the toilet with you or the OH or cousins etc. so they get to see what toilets are for (and then might want to try it after all a potty is a new concept whereas a toilet isn't Question ),most of mine skipped the potty and went to the loo, the boys especially preferred to stand and pee so I got a seat with steps and handles attached which worked well Smile
maybe taking nappies off altogether and going with pants or even no bottoms on and having a full day of trying Question at first it could just be as simple as catching them peeing Question , with my oldest it was, he'd gone behind the couch and I spotted him and got the potty under him in time and as soon as he realised it was meant for pee'ing in he caught on, but he would never sit on it, insisted on standing and you had to hold it for him Rolling Eyes Laughing which is when i went and bought the step/seat Laughing
getting them involved in choosing big boy undies might help too , as if they pick them and they're bright with pictures or patterns on they might want to wear them more than boring nappies Question xx
jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:38 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks ladies, will definitely be trying out both of your tips Smile xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular