bad eating habits

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:09 am 
Post subject: bad eating habits
a few weeks back i posted about how sam would just eat and eat. but now she has got into bad habits.

she will say she is hungry, and then when i do her a meal she hardly eats any and says she is full, or cant eat any more. within an hour she is asking for more food. to which i offer her leftovers, or if i have thrown it away she is told she either has nothing or fruit. which she generally doesnt want anything, unless its sweets, biscuits, chocolate or crisps.

this is fine, until we are out and she sees MacDonalds, Greggs etc or we are in the supermarket and she starts asking for food because she is 'starving' i refuse so then we get tantrums, and people giving me dirty looks cos i dont feed my child! lol.

she also says she is hungry before bed, but i think its a stalling tactic, or she wakes up in the night crying that she is hungry, but then doesnt eat her breakfast. this morning iv just told her that she will not leave the table until she has finished her breakfast, even if it means she sits there all day, cos i have had enough of food being thrown away, and that she will be wanting food again in an hour.

pepperpot
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:57 pm 
Post subject:
I remember and replied to your last post because my boy eats all day too. He's just been though the phase of saying he's hungry, having a snack and then not eating much dinner. I stopped him having all snacks completely for a few days and gave him two chances to eat his dinner and that was it. If after the two chances he wouldn't eat it that would be it. Did have a few strops but nothing major. Seems to have worked because he is now back to normal and having the odd snack but still eating his dinner x

jane1978
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:42 pm 
Post subject:
Have you tried getting her to help make meals or getting her to choose what she wants to eat ? being involved and being a big girl might make her more likely to eat ?
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:54 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, I used to look after a child just like this, the fact that they were once such a good eater makes it all the more frustrating! It's really difficult to do, but you really need to let her know its not bothering you, she needs to learn that eating is something she has to do for her own health and well being, not to bribe you or please you. You need to give her the impression that her eating is far more important to her than it is to you, so really try a blase attitude, leaving her food down and ignoring and gettingon with eating yourself. YOu are doing the right thing only offering fruit if she refuses meals and not giving into her desires for junk.

The other tip I would say is to make food very scarce, really reduce the portions you are giving her, so ou can reward her with lots of praise and attention if she finishes a plate (even if there was hardley anything on it) once meal times have turned back into a pleasurable experience you can gradually reduce the portion sizes.

Hope that helps

Jump to:  

Community

Popular