Weaning - Confused about milk!!!

kelchatters
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:29 pm 
Post subject: Weaning - Confused about milk!!!
Hiya,

Hoping someone can help me Very Happy

I am weaning my 6 month old baby, have been since he was 4.5 months. All was going ok, he was only having small amounts plus cow and gate hungry. However since 5 months he has been eating a bit more and still on HM, in the last two weeks, however starting to reduce his food intake and trying to up his milk intake, today has had 32oz plus a a strawberry puree for breakfast, 2 yougurts at lunch (wouldn't take anything else as he is teething at the mo) and for dinner had a weetabix. He normally has proper meals but has been off colour today. My question is could the hungry milk be putting him off? should I go onto follow on milk? my HV said just go back to stage one, the day I did try this he was soo unsettled all day!!

His normal day goes roughly like this (today was nothing like this though Very Happy )

5.30-6.30 - 6-7 oz of milk
7.30 - Breakfast
10.30 - 11 - Milk - 6-7 oz
12.30 - 1.30 - Lunch - a jar of dinner and sometimes a fromage frais
3.30 - Milk - 4-7oz
5.00 - Jar of dinner plus a dessert
6.30 - 7.00 - 7oz of milk

My question is am I going wrong somewhere for his food intake to be going down, do you think it's the hungry milk? What is everyone else doing?

For some strange reason my HV is very anti follow on milk

xxxx
tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:44 pm 
Post subject:
follow-on milk is a marketing gimmick, complete waste of money IMO, basically because until 1 year old they should be on breast milk or No 1 milk (or as in your case hungry baby milk). At 1 you switch them to cows milk and they get their vitamins and minerals from there food.

No I don't think your doing anything wrong, you'll find your baby goes through phases of eating tons and not eating much at all. Remember weaning is a slooooooooooow process, tghe aim is to get them on 3 proper regulated meals a day by the time they are 1, so at 6 months he still won't be on that much food.

Keep perserving, everythng looks ok to me.

lysianassa
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:45 pm 
Post subject:
Has he just been unsettled for the one day? sebastian would have massive amounts of food (still does - my grocery bill is sky high just for him alone lol) plus loads of hungry milk but once in a while would be a little unsettled for a day and then be back to normal. How has he been unsettled? Could he be constipated? [/i]

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:50 pm 
Post subject:
I wouldn't think the hungry milk should make much difference. Are you sure he is not coming down with something? When my little man is teething he refuses milk and when he is off it he refuses food. Have you tried instead of giving his milk and then food later to see if he will have milk and food at the same time for lunch and dinner. So let him have a guzzle of the bottle make sure no wind then give him his food and finish off with the rest of the bottle. Then you can offer water in a tippee cup throughout the day to get him used to having sips of water in preparation for him dropping bottles.

Perhaps stay as you are for a couple of days to make sure he is'nt getting a cold or something. Don't stress he is still getting milk weaning can take time my little man was slow to take to it and I learnt to just go with what he wanted/needed.
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:59 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you for the replies.

He is teething, has been unsettled on and off since last week, he has no temp etc. But grinding his gums, crying alot and his gums feel pretty warm so guess something is on the way.

I will just go with what he wants for the time being, as you say it's early days still and if he is feeling a bit off from teething, maybe just not that bothered at the mo!!

xxxxx
libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:02 pm 
Post subject:
If his teething then its probably that. Jamie always ate less when he was teething or ill and had more milk instead. It really doesn't matter at this stage as they will get most of what they need from milk. I didn't start Jamie on food until he was 6 months so he was still hardly eating anything at this stage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular