Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:05 pm 
Post subject: Baby sleep tips please
Hi,
Can anyone help me PLEASE
My little boy is almost 6 months, he is a good size (98th centile for length and 90th for weight) and normally very happy and playful. He can sleep from 7pm to 6am, he has done it several times before but some nights he wont stay asleep for even one hour.
Health visitor had loads of advice on getting a baby to go to sleep, thats not our issue, he does go to sleep, he just doesnt stay asleep!

Evening routine is 4pm bottle, 6pm puree food in highchair, 6.30 bath (lots of fun and noise), 7pm straight from bath to bedroom, sleepsuit on, into sleeping bag, I sing to him while we rockin rocking chair while he has last bottle, quiet back rubs for burps then into cot, a kiss good night and I switch his monitor on and shut the door. some nights we dont hear a peep until morning, some nights he is screaming and crying within an hour!

If he wakes and just whimpers I ignore him and 9/10 he goes back to sleep himself, sometimes he wakes screaming and crying, sometimes his dummy will send him to sleep, if 3 dummy returns in a row doesnt work and he is still screaming I give him calpol - reluctantly, this might give us 3 or 4 hours sleep.

Last night I was up about 14 times to him screaming, it was awful so today he is grumpy and fighting naps, my friend sat and stroked his face until he fell asleep.

There are soooo many variables like temperature, routine,activity of the day, what he wears to bed,pain, light levels, noise levels etc I am stuck!

Is it just a stage and stick with it? My friend said I should stop trying to train him, he is not a dog but I think if I pick him up and cuddle him or feed him every time he wakes he will keep waking for cuddles or food.

HELP PLEASE!

I know for a fact if we get a good nights sleep he is happier and he learns more the next day, bad sleep means grumpy days.
wannaBmummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:18 pm 
Post subject:
well it seems like you are doing everything right, it might just be a phase, maybe growing pains at night?

I completely agree with not picking him up, I think this could just make it worse, I have sometimes had to leave Belle crying for up to an hour to let her settle herself.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, hopefully it will be something that passes.

Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:29 pm 
Post subject:
Any support to say other people would do the same is also great, I am not normally so useless but have no confidence at being a mum!

An Hour, wow thats ages!!!! did it work in the end?
NoddysWorld
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:31 pm 
Post subject:
I fed Keren a dream feed for ages until she didn't want it anymore, this was about 11pm, do you think he maybe hungry at all.
Sorry can't think of anything else as it seems ages ago when she was a bubba.
wannaBmummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:38 pm 
Post subject:
I know exactly how you feel, being a mum can make you doubt absolutely everything you do.

Yep it always works, sometime when we have been at a party or on holiday etc then we may need to be stricter again and it only takes a night or two.

Try and be a real hard a s s for a couple of nights, I go up and lay izzy down after 10 minutes, then leave it 20 minutes and then last time 20 minutes after. I don't think we have ever got to the last one though, and after a couple of nights she is right back to normal.

kelchatters
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:20 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya,

My little boy is just over 6 months old. He sleeps well when alseep, 6pm - 6am, however over the last 2 weeks he has been a bit like your little one, is waking up after an hour screaming (we do have a 10 min screaming fit before he will go to sleep in first place, has always been the same)

I am putting Max's down to teething, as he is a little unsetled at the mo, struggling to get him to take naps (again with a screaming fit)

Maybe your little boy is cutting his teeth or going through a growth spurt??
Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:43 pm 
Post subject:
Yeh could be teeth or growth, its tricky as when I am soooo tired everything seems to hard to cope with and I search for answers, but when we had some sleep I think its ok, it probably is normal to have the odd really bad night and if I was growing that fast or cutting teeth I would be grumpy too. Lets hope they get teeth in soon so this fuss can be over with!
Thanks for your replies guys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Six Months to One Year All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular