Weaning

LivvyB
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:16 pm 
Post subject: Weaning
Hi all, I have a question if you could help me....

My son is 17 weeks and has been on a bottle every 4 hours at 210mls for about 3 weeks - he has been sucking his hands a lot lately, well fist and quite hard. He appears full after his morning bottle and will settle to play on his playmat and finishes his other two bottles during the day - he does suck his fists a lot on and off all day and mum suggested perhaps he is doing this for comfort as my brother did when he was a baby. However at night time he gets very angry with his last bottle and I dont know why - he is not quite holding his head up properly but is almost there so I dont know if I should try him on baby porridge am or baby rice for lunch.....??

Sugguestions would be amazing - thanks in advance all - Lx
tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:24 pm 
Post subject:
It doesn't seem to me like he needs weaning. The fact he is satisfied when he finishes his bottles says he's had enough.

Getting angry at his bottle could just be the wrong flow teat, maybe he needs a faster one, what flow is he on currently?

keltru
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:33 pm 
Post subject:
I think that your mum might be right. Sometimes babies are just comforted by suckling so they suck their thumb or a dummy. His gums might be hardening or teeth moving up in his gums - is he drooling loads and got red cheeks? X x

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:40 pm 
Post subject:
Although my son is breastfed, he is the same as yours - 18 weeks and fine through the day, but fusses and grumbles at the last feed before bed. I think it is more to do with being tired and eventually he does just feed and then drop off to sleep happily...
Sorry I have no advice for you, but just wanted to let you know you're not alone!

If you do wish to wean earlier than 24 weeks, they recommend talking to your HV/GP first - maybe have a word with them?
xxx

NoddysWorld
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:46 pm 
Post subject:
I weaned LO at 4 mths with baby rice once a day, nothing wrong with doing it, your baby is hungry and milk is simply not enough anymore!
gruffalo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:09 pm 
Post subject:
Nothing wrong with weaning early, however i agree with most of the other ladies, he doesnt sound like he is wanting food yet.

I weaned early with Sophia but at 5 months but that was because she gave me clear signs she was ready. She could sit supported, she could hold things in her own hands and she showed me she was ready by grabbing my food! And after her first taste consistently went for my food so started offering her some at each time i ate. did it blw style.

This time with my little man, not sure what i will do, tempted to start soon with him as i think he would enjoy it but am holding back until he shows me without question, that he wants it, whenever that may be.

Also, the sucking fists thing and dribbling more, although is consistent with teething and wanting food, it is also a common developmental stage at that age (or so i have read and hvs have said too)so I would personally hold back for a couple of weeks or so and see if he shows you any other signs.

I think if he really was hungry for food, he would be fussing on every bottle not just the last of the day. If the fussing at the end of the day was also accompanied with more frequent waking than usual, then that could be a sign he wants food (but then it could also be a growth spurt, teething pain, illness, or following meeting a milestone like sitting up).

at the end of the day though, you are mummy and mummy knows best so just follow your instincts.

MAndy xx
LivvyB
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:30 am 
Post subject: Weaning
Thanks for all the resonses ladies - very helpful!!

My instinct tells me he is may possibly be teething and is comforted by suck his hand/fist but with your first baby you just dont know, everything is so new.

I did try him on baby porridge this morning - the first spoon came back up but he seemed to enjoy the second. I dont want to be feeding him too early so perhaps i'l wait another few weeks until he is at least holding himself up properly. With regards to grabbing things he has just started doing a that a little but does suck on anything he has in his hands - he isnt yet grabbing for our food which will come.

He really is angry by bedtime even though he has a good amount of nap time during the day that just made me wonder if he was full enough from the day - but after a little winging he is asleep and sleeps till 7am from 7pm - however the last week or so he has been waking at 3ish am - he burbles a bit and winges for a few mins then goes back to sleep - that I understand is another sign that he needs to be a little fuller??

What do you ladies think about all that??

Thanks a mil xx
jenneve
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:22 am 
Post subject:
lots of babies wake in the night for lots of different reasons ive never thought that hunger was one of them as older kids dont wake up due to hunger and neither do adults.

gruffalo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:55 pm 
Post subject:
Wow, lucky u, never having had a baby wake in the night for a feed!

Yeah, a lot of the experts seem to say that if a baby starts waking in the night when previously they regularly slept through, then it could mean that they are now needing more than milk to nourish them.

The last poster made me worry that i was talking out of my bottom so i checked a book by Dr Miriam Stoppard, a weaning book by Annabel Karmel and a netmums book too.

The books also said that babies may become more fussy on feeds, may still be wanting more once bottle drained or may demand an extra feed. All signs of readiness.

The miriam stoppard book said that advice is to start at 6 months, not reccomended before four months as digestive system just not developed enough, but all babies individual and some ready from as early as five months. One of the books said something about one of the reasons it being six months is that at some time around that point, the desperate urge to suck lessens so is a good time to start with food.

Hope that helps!

Mandy x
gruffalo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:25 pm 
Post subject:
The miriam stoppard book also said if at four months they seem ready, try to hold back and the safest thing is to jsut increase the milk feeds till at the very least five months.

Mandy xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular