When to wean?

Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:09 pm 
Post subject: When to wean?
Hi all,

I just wondered when you weaned your baby? I know when I had Poppy they advised 6 months, but I started her at 5 months as she seemed hungry. Theo isn't a particularly hungry baby and doesn't seem that bothered with milk, fussy with half his bottles. He also throws up A LOT after feeds and at random times in between feeds. I think he might prefer proper food, but thought it was too early to wean him. Do they still advise 6 months? Saw some baby food jars the other day with 4 months + on, so wondered if advice had changed?

Has anyone been in this situation, or weaned this early?

abbie29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:14 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya, didn't want to read and run - I don't really know only having had Isobel I'm afraid. We weaned her at around 5 months because she was drinking 10oz+ in her feeds (had to do 2 bottles, it was ridiculous!). I believe the recommendation is still 6 months but...!
Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:38 pm 
Post subject:
Hey Helen Smile

The recommendation is 6 months, but accepted anytime between 4-6 months. Basically nothing before 17 weeks, but definitely started by 24 weeks. It totally depends on the baby and how hungry they are and also the signs they show that they are ready. Samuel is just over 19 weeks and I have started him on 'first tastes' - pureed foods, in very small amounts just once a day to get him used to different flavours and a texture different to milk.

The main advice given is to talk to your HV or GP if you feel baby is ready before 24 weeks, but in general it's a 'mum's know best' policy and they will simply advise the best start to weaning, rather than insist that you wait til 6 months.

xxx

lilgem81
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:35 pm 
Post subject:
I'm with you, thinking about weaning ollie as soon as, he is also very sick, has reflux. He is really struggling to gain weight and is not all that fussed about milk. We've got to see the doc this week to check his weight gain and I was planning on asking, I'll let you know what they sayx

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular