premature baby advice needed

danniijayne
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:14 pm 
Post subject: premature baby advice needed
hi everyone my little man was 2 months early and had a very traumatic delivery, the nurse did say that he would be behind in his development anyway, he is 1 year old now and still hasnt mastered crawling properly and he dont pull himself up on furniture either, is there anything i can do to encourage it bit more x
sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:56 am 
Post subject:
Hi. Has he just turned one? My daughter turned 11 months this week (so almost one), she only learnt to sit up from a lying position 2 weeks ago, learnt to crawl pulling herself forward on her arms about 3 weeks ago and only this week has started (very rarely) to clap her hands and she has started trying to pull herself up to a standing position.

I don't think your son sounds very different to her and considering he was 2 months early, I wouldn't worry about it.

He might never master crawling properly and it has nothing to do with anything, some kids are just like that. I always heard girls were early in development...well... not my daughter!

My son on the other hand could crawl properly at 7 and half months and was practically running on his 1st birthday.. Smile

It really is true - every baby is different and as long as you aren't worried that there is something REALLY wrong with him, I would just cheer him on when he crawls etc.. It will come.

I was an au pair years ago to a little boy. I can still remember him on his first birthday - all the other kids were crawling and he couldn't crawl at all! Smile
Hope this helps.
xxx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:56 am 
Post subject:
Getting down on his level on the floor might help ?
I used to do that a lot with mine and it seemed to encourage them to want to get about , i'd get a toy and try and get their attention with it and see if they would come to me for it Question Try and make it into a game Smile with lots of encouragement Smile
Pulling themselves up on furniture is easiest to do from the crawling position so if he's not crawling properly yet then he probably wont do that until he is .
As sweetpea said though they are all different and even born on time he could still be at this stage now as I've had friends whose full term babies only started to crawl at around 11 months and my last was 7 weeks early and apart from smiling which he didn't do until almost 12 weeks he did everything else at the time I would have thought a full term baby would and was walking before he was one Question
You can't compare them really (although some mums will always try Rolling Eyes ) and i'm sure he'll do everything when he's ready , but making a game out of crawling with lots of encouragement could make it more fun for him to try Smile and the more he tries the stronger his muscles will get and the easier he'll find it xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Six Months to One Year All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular